Chapter Twenty Four (Edited)

The next day dawned cold and raw

The next day dawned cold and raw. It was a relief to stretch their aching limbs and head out to the meeting point. Samuel, in particular, had suffered in the damp weather and he creaked and groaned as he shuffled along, his coat zipped up tightly over a thick woollen jumper.

Blake couldn't decide who he felt sorrier for; the old man, dealing with his stiff joints and aching muscles... or his wolf, Amoux, a patient animal who'd been listening to him grumble ever since they'd changed form.

His party was met at the border by the same patrol they'd eavesdropped on the previous night, now also in human form.

Damp and miserable, the warriors huddled together under the shade of a lone oak tree, the first Blake had seen since they crossed his borders, and they gazed morosely at their guest’s approach. Surprisingly, the group had grown in size since he last saw them.

As he drew closer to the invisible border, his sharp eyes spotted the three new arrivals long before they separated from the patrol and strode forward to meet their guests. A tall, fair-haired man with two warriors flanking him, the arrogant young patrol leader trailing discontentedly behind.

The new leader of the welcoming party could easily be spotted, if not by his scent – which spoke of a rank much higher than the task he was currently performing – then by the disgustingly fawning manner in which the younger patrol leader treated him.

To his credit, the faintly irritated look on the older wolf’s face suggested he wasn't as impressed as the young sycophant hoped he'd be. They eyed each other warily as both parties came to a halt on either side of the border.

"Alpha Blake," the man began with a respectful bow. "Welcome to Elmwood." His voice was rich, warm and tinged with a healthy amount of wariness.

The patrol leader stepped forwards, his face a picture of self-importance and opened his mouth to add his own greetings:
"I –"

But was swiftly silenced by a non-too-gentle tug on his collar, delivered by one of the accompanying warriors. The young wolf glared at him furiously, his fingers rising unconsciously to his neck.

"My apologies for our Alpha's absence," the leader of the group continued as though nothing had happened, brushing a stray leaf from his sleeve. "He feels his age in the cold air nowadays and prefers to remain inside in such miserable conditions."

Blake hid his surprise with a curt nod. An Alpha rarely admitted to weakness to another pack and Blake didn't remember Syrus being particularly infirm the last time they'd met.

The patrol officer's eyes widened and he cleared his throat loudly, his lips drawn into a thin line of disapproval. "Forgive my intrusion, but –"

He was cut off by a second, firmer tug at his collar that almost pulled him off his feet as he was yanked backwards. The warrior behind the tug didn't even blink.