Chapter Sixty Four

As the pitch black of night slowly turned to twilight, one of the forests tiniest residents tucked itself into a crevice halfway up a crumbling stone wall

As the pitch black of night slowly turned to twilight, one of the forests tiniest residents tucked itself into a crevice halfway up a crumbling stone wall. From here, it could reach any of the courtyards that made up the outer rim of Elmwood’s upper village, scurrying unobserved from feast to feast in the darkness.

Half hidden by the climbing jasmine and tall stems of borage, the delicate whiskers twitched as its keen sense of smell detected the presence of the wolves. But it didn't scurry for cover. In the absence of any cats to hunt them down, and generally considered too small a prey to interest the hungry wolves, the mice had thrived within the Elmwood territory. Here they had every advantage.

They had little to no competition for their food, the larger, slower rats proving the perfect targets for adolescent wolves practicing their hunting skills. In addition, with the exception of the owls, who flew on silent wings to take full advantage of the abundant food source; the predators of the forest avoided any areas the wolves congregated, their natural instincts fearing the stronger hunters.

This particular resident – it’s furry little belly already well rounded and making short work of a seed it clutched between tiny paws – became an unwitting observer of the tense scene unfolding below.

“There you are.”

There was a moment of complete silence in the sheltered courtyard, where even the light breeze faltered. The redhead, frozen in terror in the shadow of the house, let out the tiniest whimper of distress. The stranger at the gate, calm and assured, trained his piercing eyes on his prey and allowed his lips to curl into a smile of satisfaction .

He took a confident step towards her. She, in turn, took a step back. He took another, and she matched him, her face pale in the moonlight. The predatory dance might have continued if Hannah hadn’t suddenly felt the rough stone of the house scrape against her shoulder blades. Her eyes began frantically darting this way and that, seeking an escape route. Her breath coming in short, sharp bursts as adrenaline began to take over .

His advance faltered, his smile disappearing as he took in her tense features; her pupils wide with panic – every muscle clenched like a coiled spring, ready to bolt left or right at the first opportunity – and a small sigh of irritation escaped his lips. "I haven't got time for this," he muttered to himself.

"Then leave," Dylan's voice rose from the shadows. "And forget you've seen her."

The stranger's attention flicked to the new arrival, and Hannah took the opportunity to edge further away, grazing the side of the house, her fingers searching for the door she knew lay within the shadows. The stranger’s eyes flicked back towards her and took a step in her direction, matching the distance between them.

“Move again, and you'll never see the sun rise.” Dylan's voice held a tone of menace Hannah had never heard before. His eyes were dark and stormy, the light blue irises swirling with a maelstrom of deep greys that showed just how close to the surface his wolf hovered. A low growl rose up his throat, vibrating his adam’s apple in a clear warning.