Chapter Sixty Seven

Thirty minutes earlier

The two wolves flew past the trees with far less caution than they had approached the clearing. Blake, free from the pressure of organising his pack, pressed on through the undergrowth with single-minded determination. His dominance had never been more tested as Rothan constantly strove for control. Heedless of the need to subdue the Elmwood Alpha, the powerful wolf's only focus lay with the redhead he sought to protect.

From the north, the first sounds of wolves fighting drifted towards them, shouts over the link suggesting the invading wolves had encountered the first resistance hidden amidst the trees. The Alpha ignored the distant skirmishes, steadily making his way deeper into the forest away from the cacophony of snarls and vicious growls.

While Kaden weaved around the deadly patches of dog’s Mercury, Blake threw himself straight through the middle, confident his wolf was strong enough to withstand any poisonous side-effects. For a moment, silence fell upon the forest. The only sound, the raspy breath of the two wolves and the rustling of the foliage against their flanks.

Painfully aware that few of the defenders were likely to survive, Kaden turned his head frequently to peer through the tall trunks, as though he could penetrate the thick foliage that blocked his view and seek out the members of his pack. Agitation made his fur bristle upwards like he'd stuck one paw in an electric socket, and he let out an unconscious whine of misery.

Without warning, the young wolf's ears flicked forward, and he skittered to a undignified halt right in the middle of a patch of feathered ferns. It took Blake a second to register his companion was no longer on his heels; his mind half on Hannah, and half on the pack link, waiting for word on the forts. With a huff of impatience, he slowed to a halt, sniffing the air.
From the east, a unmistakable, musky aroma penetrated the natural smells of the forest.
Rogue.

Kaden didn't hesitate, swinging towards the source with a guttural snarl. He moved with a speed that belied his poor condition, his shoulders set, head low to the ground, leaving Blake with no other option but to follow him.

Far from any of the trails, the forest grew less ordered, the pine trees clumping together like groups of undisciplined militia, facing off against each other in the fight for food and sunlight. Occasionally, a pine had fallen – its corpse a visual reminder of the price of defeat.
Without constant maintenance, the trees had left behind a desert of pine needles strewn across the battlefield, the ground foliage having to work twice as hard to thrive.
Pinned against one of those trees, a foppish-looking young man shook with terror as he tried to extract himself from his attacker – a rogue twice his size, with dirty, matted hair and an evil gleam in his eyes.

Slapping ineffectively at the hand wrapped around his throat, the man let out a high-pitched squeal, his toes barely scraping the ground below.

The rogue let out a soft, sibilant laugh; so immersed in his enjoyment, he remained oblivious to the enormous wolves emerging from the trees behind him. One claw traced the beads of sweat running down his victim’s neck with a kind of perverse pleasure. "Oh little mouse," he purred. "Squeal some more for me."

Kaden's growl held a low menace, his teeth bared with a very personal hatred.

The rogue turned, his black eyes narrowed with irritation at the interruption. His gaze swept over the two new arrivals, nose scenting the air, and he let out a rumble of recognition. “Interesting,” he whispered to himself. “An Alpha and a raggedy wolf.” His lips curled upwards in a cruel smile. “How's life outside your hole, Kaden?”

Kaden shifted, his haggard face dark and dangerous. “Davos.” He snapped the name with the same force he'd use to bite into the rogues neck. “You've moved up in the world. Last I saw you, your friends were busy planning your immediate demise.”

The rogue’s smile widened. “They died first.” He looked Kaden up and down. “Last I saw you, you were cowering in a puddle of your own excrement.” His eyes shifted to the huge black wolf at Kaden's side. “Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friend?”

Kaden glanced at the Alpha. “I'd rather not. I wouldn’t want to insult him.”

The rogue sniffed the air again, his nostrils flaring. “Ah. No ordinary Alpha, a Hunter no less. What a stroke of good luck," he declared to his victim, his lip curled in arrogant satisfaction. "It looks like I get to bag two legends in one fell swoop."

"Unlikely," Kaden responded in a voice laden with nonchalance. "But then, I am a tad out of practice." He glanced over at the Alpha who appeared to be struggling to contain his impatience. "Do mind if I--?" He gestured towards the rogue.

"It's your territory," Blake shrugged. "Be my guest."

"Marvellous," Kaden murmured. He rolled both his shoulders, squaring up for the fight, and the rogue bared his teeth in a snarl of pleasure, dropping his forgotten victim unceremoniously on the frozen ground.

As the two enemies began circling each other, Blake found himself navigating a fight on two  fronts as flashes from the fight on the Northern fort came through the link in a disconcerting visual display that overlapped the scene unfolding right in front of him. He grimaced and concentrated on keeping them separated.

“Watch your flank – ” A stone wall rose up out of the forest floor, sloping upwards to meet a pitched roof, low enough for a wolf to jump onto. Liam provided cover for his engineers as they ran towards a strategic crack in the wall, each hauling a familiar, silver canister. “You two, get into position!”

Missiles began to fly wildly from a slit in the wall, and the warriors quickly found themselves trapped behind the narrow trees, unable to advance.

“This is almost like old times, isn't it?” the rogue taunted Kaden, taking a calculated swipe at his shoulder. “You know, I’ve missed our little sessions, raggedy wolf. Lets see how quickly I can make you bleed today.”

“The only one bleeding today will be you,” Kaden promised grimly, rolling out of the way and shifting into his wolf.

“Now that's cheating,” Davos tutted, leaping to meet Kaden's lunge. He dodged the jaws which snapped inches from his throat, blocking Kaden's attack with a violent blow to his head. Kaden rolled, shifted back to human form and ripped at the rogue’s torso with his claws.

“Charlie, get their bloody attention will you?” Liam's voice was tight with frustration. “We need a clear shot – ” Charlie and the remaining warriors broke cover on the other side of the fort, making as much noise as possible as they harangued and harassed the defenders with a series of swooping attacks, drawing their fire.”

A thin line of red appeared through the rogue's shirt as he failed to manoeuvre himself out of reach of Kaden's attack, but his smile remained plastered across his face as he countered  with a flurry of blows.

Rapidly forced backwards by the rogues assault, Kaden gave way, allowing himself to be pushed under the canopy of trees. While his physical condition had been worn down by months in captivity, he'd lost none of the skills taught to him in training, and Blake could see no hint of panic in the young wolf's eyes.

He's got potential, he observed to his wolf. At full strength, he'll be more than capable.

He's taking too long, Rothan sniffed. You might want to brace yourself, he added as the rogue prepared for an overhead strike that was sure to render Kaden unconscious.

He's ready for it, Blake disagreed. See how he's positioned himself?

 Not them, Rothan snapped. Pay attention!

“Don't just stand there! Hit the valve and chuck ‘em in!” Over at the fort Liam’s voice was filled with supressed excitement – clearly Charlie's diversion had worked, leaving the way clear for the engineers. Blake was treated to a quick flash of two silver canisters flying through a narrow window, followed by shaky ground and thundering paws as Liam fled the scene. “Everybody get clear,” he yelled over the link.

Blake's eyes widened. “Kaden?” he barked. “Brace yourself!”

Kaden’s response was purely instinctive, and he crouched low to the ground, swinging one foot around to sweep the rogue’s legs out from under him.

Over half a mile away, the canisters ignited and the resulting explosion shook the canopy of trees around them. The vibrations continued right through the clearing, the accompanying boom loud enough to alert any wolves not already aware that they had company.

Lets hope the humans didn't hear that, Blake muttered, wincing at the pain in his ears.

Lets hope Syrus did, his wolf countered savagely.

The rogue lay stunned on the damp ground, his dark eyes startled by the unexpected explosion. It was all the opening Kaden needed to end the fight, and he thrust his claws into the rogues side with a hiss of satisfaction.

"Oh, little mouse," Kaden whispered, as his claws continued to slide deeper into the rogues lung. "Squeal for me." The rogue offered up one final grimace – a gurgle that may have been a laugh rising up from his throat, before his body fell limp and silent on Kaden's arm.

"Not bad," Blake observed, shifting to human form. "A little dramatic, maybe, but not bad."

"I'm a little rusty," Kaden admitted ruefully. “Nice timing with that distraction of yours.”

“Seems to have worked,” Blake agreed casually with a tight grin. In his head, the pack link had lit up with reports of wolves fleeing into the surrounding forest. A second explosion tore through the trees and he grunted in satisfaction. “I believe the northern passage has just been subdued.”

Kaden prodded the dead rogue with his foot. "How much of a coincidence do you think it would be for a random rogue to attack Elmwood at the exact same time as us?"

"Too much," Blake growled. He crouched by the body searching for the tell-tale tattoo. He exposed the crude ink to Kaden with a grimace, a litany of swearwords running through his head. "Where there's one, there'll be more."

"Damn." The Elmwood wolf sighed. He gifted the dead rogue with one last, vicious kick.

Blake raised one eyebrow speculatively. “I take it you two had history?”

“Davos liked to keep me company whenever he felt bored of life as a rogue,” Kaden explained, his face taut with remembered pain. “He found it a challenge to seek out new and unusual ways to bleed me every Saturday night. He was quite good at it,” the young wolf acknowledged in a strangely neutral voice.

“Thank the Goddess!” The Elmwood wolf had pulled himself to his feet and was busy dusting himself down, his nose wrinkling at his crumpled clothes. “I thought that mangy mutt was going to be the death of me.”

His clothes were elaborate and expensive. He wore his status the same way a debutante would wear her jewels, and his voice had a natural stridency to it that set Blake's teeth on edge.

Once satisfied his finery was salvageable, he raised grateful eyes to his rescuers. It took only seconds for the smile to slip from his face, replaced by a look of stupid confusion and he stood, mouth agape as he stared at the last two faces he ever expected to see in Elmwood.

Kaden blinked. "Oh, I'm sorry,” he offered genially. “I'd forgotten you were there. Are you okay?" He took a closer look, checking for injuries.

A splutter, and the man regained the use of his tongue in strident and indignant protest. "You can't be here! You're dead!"

Blake recognised the obnoxious little secretary that had kicked up such a fuss during their diplomatic mission. The last he'd seen of him, he'd been half-carrying a drunken Meagan out of the hall.

"Funny," Kaden noted in a dry tone. "I don't feel dead. Perhaps you are mistaken?"

"You left the territory on some foolish mission, and died in an ambush!" the Eta argued with a stubborn squeal, shaking his head in furious denial. "The Alpha confirmed it himself."

"Did he indeed?" Kaden growled quietly. He turned to the Alpha. “May I introduce – ?”

“We've met,” Blake said shortly.

The Eta's eyes flicked rapidly between Kaden and Blake and he peered at them suspiciously,
the cogs turning as he attempted to put two and two together.

“You're – ” he started, pointing at Blake. “And you – ” he stumbled, his finger swinging back to Kaden, almost poking him the chest. “But, he's – ” His face settled into a look of scandalised horror. “You're a traitor!” he declared dramatically. His cheeks puffed out in a display of pompous indignation and a tell-tale glaze appeared in his eyes as he reached out over the link to report his findings.

Stop him! Rothan warned. If he alerts Syrus to Kaden's presence...

Blake jumped forward but, moving with impressive speed, Kaden was way ahead of them both, wrapping his hand around the Eta's throat and pushing him back against the tree. “Now that's ungrateful,” he warned softly. “Is that how you were taught to greet the son of your Alpha? I’m no traitor, and you might want to remember that I've just saved your pathetic little life. So stop that.”

The Eta squeaked in reply, his face turning a gentle puce colour as Kaden applied pressure to his windpipe.

“What you can do,” Kaden continued, smiling a smile that could freeze steam. “Is provide me with the answers to a number of pressing questions. Is that okay?”

The Eta squeaked again, his mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water desperately trying to take a gulp of air. He nodded frantically, his eyes rolling up into his head.

“Good,” Kaden murmured. “Lets start with an easy one. What are you doing out here all alone?”

The Eta let out a noise similar to air escaping a deflating balloon, bubbles forming on his chapped lips, but no words escaped him.

Blake raised an eyebrow. “You might want to loosen the grip a little.”

Kaden frowned. “I can't risk him alerting the link.”

“Silence is good,” Blake agreed sagely. “Breathing is better. Especially if you want answers.”

Kaden's eyes widened and he let the Eta drop to the ground for the second time, where he lay gasping for breath. “I guess it's been a while since I had to check my strength,” Kaden muttered. “It feels strange to think of myself as the heir again.”