Chapter Fifty Nine

“Am I remembering it right, Dylan? Are you gay?”

Hannah watched a dozen different expressions flit across his face as he squirmed in front of her, his eyes darting about the room seeking an escape she wasn't about to give him.

She waited, half-hoping she'd somehow got it terribly wrong, not wanting to face the all the implications that came with such a deception; but the longer the silence stretched between them, the quicker hope died.

“Well?” she finally challenged, her voice close to breaking. “Are you?”

“Yes.”

Shit.

“What did you do?” she repeated, backing as far away from him as she physically could. Her legs began to shake uncontrollably; the shock of his revelation had sucked all the air out of the room and she struggled to take a breath. Coherent thought was beyond her, her mind rebelling against the stark truth laid bare by his reluctant confession.

He was...

Which meant, she wasn't...

Which meant, he had...

The tapestry brushed up against her back and she clutched at the rough material with both hands as though it could somehow hold her upright.  Her eyes never once left her captor, who stood between her and the door.

Her captor. Yes, that's what he was. Not mate. Not cousin. He'd lied to her, deceived her in the cruellest possible way. Kidnapped her, taken her away from the pack she’d grown to trust and... he had... and he was planning to... She felt the sudden and violent urge to throw up.

The bin was too far away. She eyed it accusingly, knowing she was never going to make it across the room before the contents of her stomach reacquainted themselves with the outside world.

Dylan, who had been watching her descent into panic with increasing alarm, spotted the green tinge to her skin and moved with remarkable speed – grabbing the bucket and thrusting it in her direction.

She took a half-hearted swipe in his direction as she snatched to bucket from his clammy hands -- too preoccupied by her nausea to make much of an impact against his rock solid arm – nothing more than a bug batting ineffectively against a window.

The reminder of how powerless she was against him increased her anger and, as soon as she'd gotten her stomach under control, she unleashed her wrath in a wave of fear driven accusations.

“How could you?” she shrieked in his general direction, beyond caring who heard her. Her Scottish lilt rose and fell with every syllable, creating verbal jabs that hit hard enough to make Dylan wince with every accusation. “You deceived me! You lied to me! You – you – kidnapped me! I mean, I know I went with you willingly – ” She paused a moment as her stomach heaved again, disgusted by her own stupidity. Why hadn't she waited until she'd been sure? Why hadn't  she trusted her instincts?
“ – but that was because you convinced me you loved me! I mean, what was the plan, Dylan? Wait until it was all over and then turn around and say, “sorry dear, I forgot to mention I like guys!”