Chapter Fourteen (Edited)

Despite Ophelia’s warnings, Hannah still found herself shocked by the subtle hostility that emanated from many of the women she encountered

Despite Ophelia’s warnings, Hannah still found herself shocked by the subtle hostility that emanated from many of the women she encountered. They floated through the house towards the gardens - all perfume and fancy outfits, better suited for high society than an afternoon barbecue with friends.

Out in the gardens they mingled almost exclusively with their own social groups; little cliques critiquing each other, sharing the latest gossip and staring openly at the outsider wandering aimlessly amongst them.

The few women showing signs of being more down to earth – in casual clothes and little makeup – were more reserved in their curiosity. They smiled politely, but shied away from talking to her for long.

Their wariness of her was easy to explain - it was the same familiar mix of fascination and suspicion that she'd experienced at the pack house. As there was no malice to it, she didn't take it personally. She knew much of it was coming from their wolves, who were naturally inclined to mistrust outsiders and be put off by her unusual scent.

But most openly wrinkled their noses and made a point of ignoring her friendly advances – a blatant snub in her direction. As the afternoon wore on, Hannah had been forced to remind herself repeatedly that this was only a small sample of the enormous pack and that even the Beta’s mate had a hard time putting up with these women.

Regardless, it hadn't taken her long to retreat to the safety of the kitchen where the Omegas were still hard at work prepping salads and putting the finishing touches to Ophelia’s dishes.

Werewolves had enormous appetites. Their wolves gifted them with extremely fast metabolisms which fuelled their strength and speed. Like stokers running a coal furnace, they needed to constantly top up their energy source to keep going at their full potential. As a result, the food would always be the main talking point at any event. Running out was not an option.

Hannah had discovered early on that Ophelia was an excellent cook. Every meal she'd eaten at their home had been nothing short of divine - she seemed to have a real knack for herbs and spices, generously introducing them to simple ingredients to create the most delicious dishes.

In fact, the Beta’s mate had gained such a reputation that several of her desserts and pies were served at the local cafes and to be invited to dine at one of her dinners was enough of a treat to give the lucky recipients bragging rights for weeks. Eager to avoid the social minefield for as long as possible and in an effort to be useful, Hannah had volunteered to help carry out and replenish some of the side dishes; much to the Omegas surprise.

Blake had caused quite a stir when he'd finally arrived a short time later, looking dashingly handsome in a casual short sleeved shirt that showed off his muscular chest and arms. Hidden by the buffet tables, Hannah had a rare chance to admire him from a safe distance. As the guests crowded around, her eyes roaming freely up and down his body without fear of him noticing her.