Chapter Seventeen (Edited)

Hannah woke with a start to find Blake's sister staring down at her

Hannah woke with a start to find Blake's sister staring down at her. The small girl hovered over the bed, a serious expression on her face, chewing on her bottom lip.

Blinking with surprise, Hannah's eyes darted across to the other side of the bed expecting to see a still-slumbering Blake but, thankfully, the bed was empty. The sheet he'd draped across his naked chest was gone and he'd left no sign that anyone had slept there, much to Hannah's relief. Trying to ignore the empty feeling in the pit of her stomach at his sudden absence, she forced her wandering thoughts to focus on the problem in front of her.

What time is it?

The clock on the far bedside table flashed an unsympathetic six thirty am. She smiled hesitantly at the girl hovering over her.

"You don't look that dangerous," the girl said, matter of fact. Large grey eyes framed by soft black hair reminded Hannah immediately of the girl's brother, Blake.

"Hello –" Hannah said fuzzily, struggling to put a name to the face.

"Sky," the girl reminded her helpfully. "I said, you don't look that dangerous."

"Oh." Hannah sat up, her small frame dwarfed in the ridiculously large bed, and ran her fingers through her long tangle of hair. "Sorry about that. I didn't realise I was supposed to."

"It's okay." Sky shrugged. "Just a little disappointing. You're supposed to be dangerous." She chewed on her bottom lip as she watched Hannah swing her legs around before bouncing onto the bed beside her. Sky looked as though she bounced pretty much everywhere; a coiled spring full of nervous energy.

Please, come in. Sit down. Hannah looked at her through bleary eyes, still trying persuade them to wake up.

"I like your hair." Sky tilted her head thoughtfully.

"Thank you." Hannah had decided it was one of her favourite features too. When it was brushed.

"I could never dye my hair red like that. I tried once" – the girl shuddered – "It didn't end well." Her nose wrinkled slightly as Hannah ran her fingers through the tangled locks. "You really do smell, you know."

Thanks. "Do I?" Hannah murmured, frowning a little.

Sky's face dropped. "It doesn't bother me!" she reassured her guest earnestly. "I'm sorry, mother always said if I continue to blurt out whatever pops into my head, that one day it'll get me into trouble." Her face crinkled into a grimace. "But I think honesty is better than struggling to keep a secret... I'm not very good at keeping secrets," she finished, offering Hannah a half-smile.

Hannah couldn't stop herself smiling back. The tiny she-wolf spoke a thousand words a minute, each syllable tumbling over the next in their rush to get out. She clearly had very little comprehension of personal space – an opinion strengthened when she leaned in to toy with a wayward strand of Hannah's hair – yet there was an innocence about her open and honest face that Hannah found appealing.