Chapter Sixty

The Alpha sat alone on the rocky outcrop, his eyes a deep, cavernous black, his expression bleak

The Alpha sat alone on the rocky outcrop, his eyes a deep, cavernous black, his expression bleak. None of the wolves dared approach him. Most moved around him as though terrified the slightest sound would turn his gaze upon them. Only his lieutenants remained close by, and even they trod on hesitant paws.

The events at the Craggs had shaken the pack to the core, none more so than its powerful leader, and they waited with baited breath to see what he would choose to do next.

Blake stared at the white cold on the ground, his turmoil of emotions making him oblivious to the chill in the air as he processed the afternoon’s shocking events.

Nothing had prepared him for the contents of that envelope, the sharp sting of a betrayal he’d never expected and, even now, struggled to understand. No amount of training had prepared him for one of his own turning against their pack.

Despite having known there was a snake amongst them for several weeks, the moment of revelation proved as shocking as if he'd remained oblivious to their treachery. Wolf and man moved as one, the storm in their eyes threatening a retribution long overdue.

Almost as though he himself had a hand in the encroaching winter, the wolves glanced in awe between their Alpha and the heavy, snow laden clouds that rolled and eddied above him. Like waves in a stormy sea, battered and manipulated by the winds, they reflected the bleak mood that enveloped the makeshift camp.

The Alpha remained oblivious to their whispers, his thoughts unravelling every decision he'd made since Issac had thrust those photos in his hand...

Despite the overwhelming desire for vengeance that turned his stomach in its eagerness to be satiated, Clinthorpe was the obvious priority. Alex's desire for secrecy, and the coordinating waves of anxiety rolling off Charlie, convinced Blake to tackle the mystery surrounding the furthermost cave first. It would give him time to consider his next move carefully before acting on his instincts.

It took a matter of moments to organise his remaining warriors to begin clearing out the cave. Ensure several trusted warriors were in position to keep an eye on Kaden, their new and unexpected guest took much longer, by which time Marcus and Charlie had gained a good lead on him.

He set out after them, glancing down at the photos one more time, still astounded that even his, admittedly exceptional, control had withstood Rothan's rush of fury once they'd both registered what they were looking at; images of Alpha Syrus entertaining a member of his pack.

The reminder prompted Rothan to growl deep in his mind, a primal call to action.

Many of the images could be argued as perfectly innocent – explained away by the flurry of diplomatic excursions and trade fairs that had taken place across the region over the last two years.

But, there were dozens of them, the dates on the photos stretching back months, and Blake recognised Syrus’s familiar and opulent study in the background of more than one covert photo, the subjects far too friendly for the usual diplomatic relationship.