Chapter Eight

Day fourteen, I sat dressed in black staring into the open at the backyard. The garden always looked extra beautiful in the evenings.

This had become my hobby since the demise of Maximiliano. It seemed as if there was nothing left in the world for me. I would dress in black and wonder aimlessly around the house thinking about him or sit at the backyard staring at the garden.

Luca had been kind enough to let me grieve in peace. He would leave before I was awake and when he returned, he totally avoided me. For the past two weeks he hadn't used me for his sexual needs which I was thankful for. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a side piece somewhere else. given his lifestyle, I was sure he got a replacement for me.

"Still mourning Aimee??" Luca's voice drew my attention from behind where I sat. Seems like he just arrived.

"Oh come on tesoro, it's been two weeks. I'm sure wherever Max is he wouldn't want you to die of depression"

"You have no right to speak of him Luca" my teeth gritted in anger

"Well given the fact that I killed him, I think I have every right" he taunted.

"please let me be Luca, you've done enough already."

"Meet me in my office when you're done staring at nothing. I have something for you" he said before his footsteps retreated indicating he had left.

An hour later, I made my way into the house.
Making my way to the dining table, Catherine had served dinner before leaving and it seemed Luca was already done with his.
Sitting alone and enjoying the silence around me, I ate very little from the delicious meal. I've not been having much appetite lately.

Walking over to Luca's home office, I knocked on the door which was immediately followed by his gruff 'enter'

"Sedersi"
(sit) he said without looking up from whatever he was doing.

Sitting before Luca I couldn't help but stare at his office, this was my first of being here afterall. A replica of the painting that hung at the living room was also placed here.

"Intriguing isn't it" Luca said

"Very"

"It's been in the Savedra family for ages. It describes our lineage. It describes us Aimee, you and I" he emphasized the "us" he was speaking about.

"What does the painting have to do with me?" I questioned

"That writing means the king and queen of the underworld Aimee, that's what we are. You're the queen to my empire" he further explained

"Queen to the mafia you mean" I corrected sarcastically which made him chuckle.

"Whatever you want to call it tesoro" he replied taking a gulp from the glass I hadn't noticed which I guess contained whiskey as lots of bottles where laid out on a shelf.

"I wanted to talk about Maximiliano" Luca blurted out making me feel that familiar ache I felt whenever I thought about him

"What about it Luca" It was obvious I was hurt.

"I had his body cremated, I think you should have it"
He slid a box towards me.

This box contained the remains of Maximiliano, the ashes from his cremation.
What I couldn't understand was why Luca was giving it to me.

"I'm allowing you give him a proper burial Aimee" his eyes never leaving me as he spoke.

"Luca I-I don't know what to say"

"you could say thank you" he retorted much to my annoyance. There would be no need for a proper burial if he hadn't killed Max.

"Tomorrow Alfonso would take you to a private Cemetery for the burial, I already have everything arranged"

"is his family aware?" I questioned

"No, that has been taken care of already. They'd think he died at Russia or wherever he was" he stated nonchalantly.

"okay" I curtly replied before getting up to leave.

"After the burial I expect all this mourning charade to end. You have roles to play as my wife Aimee and I expect them done" he spoke in his usual dominating voice

"Of course" I nodded, walking out of office I shut the door and headed to our room.
The box containing Max ashes held to my chest. Somehow, having this made me feel closer to Maximiliano in a way.

______________________________

True to Luca's words, he had everything concerning the burial under control.

The next day, Alfonso took me to the private cemetery Luca had talked about.
The ground was already dug and there was a priest awaiting our arrival.

I felt really bad when I got there, I knew Max's family would want the honour of conducting a burial when they found out about his death but at this point they wouldn't even get to see his body.
Normally, the ashes were meant to be let free in the open air or at a lake or river but a cemetery was perfect as I would like to visit it whenever I was allowed to.

I stood before where Max would be laid to rest, dressed in a black tight knee length dress. After a short prayer from the priest, I was asked to step forward and pour the ashes into the dug ground which I did.
And this was followed by another brief prayer by the priest before I shoved in the first sand then Alfonso and Gustavo completed the rest.

The finally prayers were said before the priest left with Alfonso and Gustavo in the bid of giving me an alone time with my deceased lover.

Walking to his grave, I lay the bouquet of red roses I had gotten. They reminded me of Max as he always got me those whenever he could. Fresh tears escaped my eyes as I stared at the grave. Everything was now so real. Maximiliano was really gone. A sob raked through me as I stood there, more tears pouring down my eyes.

"I'm sorry Max, I-I'm so sorry. This was all my fault. y-you'd still be here if it wasn't for me" I whispered to myself as more tears stained my cheek.

The love of my life. MX
Was engraved on the stone to avoid any implications but still give an identification.

Arms wrapped around me from behind gained my attention.

"He's in a better place now tesoro, let's go home" he whispered in my ear.

The nerve of this man always infuriated me. He spoke about Maximiliano like he wasn't the evil man who ended his life.

Luca led the way silently to his black Lamborghini which was parked up front.
His hand laced with mine securely like I would somehow disappear from his side.

I had come to terms with everything at this point. I was Mrs Aimee Savedra now and nothing would change it with Max wiped out of the picture.