Chapter Ten

I woke in shock or rather was awoken from fear. My chest heaving with sweat pickling from my forehead to my chest as if I was soaked in water. My shaking hands clung to the sheets in an attempt to calm my nerves.

It had been this way for three days now since Luca had murdered that waiter in cold blood before me. My body was going into overdrive. It was one thing to watch the love of your life die and another to witness a second death in just few weeks. I couldn't handle the killings.

Everytime I would be awoken from a replay of both deaths. My mind was playing a terrible trick on me.
Each time I woke up drenched in sweat with my heart beating with such intensity like I had just ran a marathon.

Luca had however never once woken along with me neither did he question about it. I guess he wasn't aware of the sleepless nights he had given me.
The devil slept peacefully all night long while I kept a wide eye. The irony of this situation made me roll my eyes.

Looking at the alarm clock that stood on the side table, the time read 6:00am. It was a Saturday morning and from the look of things, my husband would be home today.

He lay sleeping peacefully beside me, his messy hair dropping on his forehead giving him an innocent alluring look.

Walking into the washroom and filling the bathtub, I dipped myself into the water giving out a breath at its relaxing warmth.

After finishing my business, I exited the tub. Standing before the mirror, I applied ointment on the bruises I sustained from Luca's beatings. Raffaelle had gotten it along with painkillers to which I was utterly grateful, if it were left to my husband the nasty bruise on my stomach and hand marks on my face and neck would have been left unattended to.

Moving to the closet, I slipped on a comfortable dress before walking out, sitting before the vanity mirror, I applied concealer on my face to keep the marks hidden.

A knock on the door drew my attention
"yes?" I called out to whoever was knocking.

" Mia regina, I was sent to inform Capo on the arrival of his parents"

His parents!!!??? They hadn't informed us on their arrival.

"we'll be there Shortly" I replied.

I walked over to Luca who still lay asleep. His parents were here and he wasn't even awake.
I should wake him
I thought

Don't! He'd probably hit you for interrupting his sleep
My head contributed

But he might get mad I didn't wake him

I stood beside where he slept, my mind conflicted as I stared at him.

"Are you just going to stand there staring Aimee?" Luca's groggy voice drew me out of my inner turmoil

"uhm.. I-I.. y-your parents are here" I stuttered

"I know." he replied dismissively still not opening his eyes as he spoke to me

" Okay" I went back to sitting at the dresser

"Next time just wake me rather than standing like a moron. I don't bite"

Yes he doesn't bite, he does worse than that. He takes away happiness.

____________________

"oh my goodness!! Mario she's much prettier in person" christen exclaimed just as Luca and I reached the foot of the stairs.

Luca's father - Mario was rather engulfed on the sports he was watching on the television as his wife held me in a motherly hug.