Chapter Nineteen

Breath Aimee, everything is going to be fine. I reminded myself for the umpteenth time as the doctor carried out my antenatal check ups.

I was currently in the fifth month of my pregnancy, it was amazing how my body had been keeping up for the past five months of being with child. My boobs got fuller and perkier while my hips got broader and thicker. My face had somewhat gotten chubbier but that's in Mona's opinion as I failed to see that particular change.

I lay on the examination bed as Doctor Nevio carried out few check ups before the ultrasound session. Luca had stressed how important it was to find out the gender of the child immediately it was possible. In his own words -we need to find out if it's a girl and terminate it before its too late.

I was present in the room with my husband seated watching the doctor carry out tests on me but at the same time, my heart and soul was absent. I couldn't be at peace knowing my child will be killed if it was a female. From the few glances of pity Doctor Nevio threw my way occasionally, I knew he was aware of my husband's threat.

The heart rate monitor begun beeping loudly drawing the attention of everyone in the room.
"Nevio what's wrong?" My husband spoke first getting up from where he sat, he walked to the side of my bed.

"her heart rate picked up a bit, nothing to worry about" turning to me, he asked a question to which I couldn't give a sincere response to "Anything troubling you Aimee??"

"Uhm no.. Nothing"

"These things are signs of stress Aimee, your carrying a child. A precious life is incubating in your womb, stress can be really harmful to your child"
the doctor's sermon sounded real dumb to me. I was totally sure he was aware my husband had plans of my child being aborted if it was a female and who else to do such a job if not Doctor Nevio. But here he stood telling me what was good for my child. How wouldn't I be suffering from stress and emotional breakdown when I was tied to Luca. anyone put in my position would feel exactly same way if not worse..

Pulling up the hem of my shirt to expose my now visible baby bump he applied the ultrasound gel to the bump. The feeling of the cold substance made my skin tingle and bring up goosebumps which only worsened my anxiety. The probe was placed of my bump where the gel was applied and the test begun with my head going haywire from numerous thoughts. If I was still plugged to the heart monitor, It would be beeping crazy right now.

He moved the transducer capturing black and white images which appeared on the ultrasound screen.
I was told to hold my breath at some point and asked to move slightly.

After the test, the gel was wiped off and I was given a bottle of water to drink suggested by Doctor Nevio before he excused himself out of the room, probably to analyze the medical reports.

"Luca" sitting up to meet his standing figure beside me, I held his hands in mine.

"Please, don't go through with this if the child is female. We could try for many other sons but please don't make me kill my child"

"from what I know, you didn't want to have children with me and now you're suddenly protecting this one?" his face held an unreadable expression

I knew he was right, at first I didn't want a child but he pushed aside my wants and got me pregnant. Five months was enough to get me to love and want my baby. Two people could fall in love in less than five months and get into a relationship how much more a mother and her child sharing a bond.

"please" I begged staring right into his eyes.
His lips twitched sideways forming a smile, this wasn't a time to be smiling but here my husband was smiling at his wife who was fighting for the life of her daughter.