Chapter Three

PAST

2011

I see Noah's look in the dark. You can't see anything else besides his eyes that glare in dark. I can't believe they put us in a closet. Seven minutes in heaven...more like Seven minutes in hell. I haven't talked to Noah in two years. And now we're standing in the dark, both confused.

"Why did we stop talking?", Noah sits on the floor.

I follow his action and take a seat on the floor. I didn't quite expect he would be the one starting the conversation.

"Because you found new friends where I didn't fit in. And you just left me.", I shrug.

"That's not true!", he jumps on his feet "You left me as well. You were always busy!"

"It's not just my fault!", I jump too "You didn't even try to make us work again!"

We keep fighting for a few more minutes. Mostly over who left who.

"What happened to 'we will never stop hanging out'?", Noah gives me an almost sad look.

"Looks like you can't trust a child's promise.", I answer before storming out.

PRESENT

2016

Noah is staring at me. His eyes glow in dark. Just like five years ago when we were locked in that damn closet. Maybe we'll have a fight this time too. We probably will. Maybe it's supposed to be our little tradition.

"Well, Strawberry, you know what we are supposed to do.", he smirks.

"I told you not to call me that.", I hiss "Besides, don't you have a girlfriend?"

"Not right now, and if I did, why is that your business?", he answers.

I roll my eyes. Of course, he's that cocky. I don't know how that ego fits inside his body.

"Whatever, how much time do we have left?", I ask impatiently.

Stupid game. Why did I even sit with them? I curse myself for not leaving before this catastrophe. Noah is the last person I want to be here with. Even though he's attractive, I don't want to be here.

"We just got here, we can use our time wisely.", he raises his eyebrow "Since we're already here."

"Keep dreaming, Noah.", I laugh at his suggestion.

"Come on, Mel, who cares? It's just a stupid game."

"Yeah, who even cares what happens here?"

He takes a step closer. I feel his hands around my waist. I freeze instantly. He's way too close. Why is it so hot in here?

"Don't fight it, Mel. We both know you want me.", his warm breath tickles my neck.

His words give me goosebumps. I don't want to admit to myself I want him, but apparently, my body reacts at him. More than it should. I need a second to get it together and get the strength to move his hands off of me. I immediately get cold, once his hands leave my sides.

"Noah...", I whisper so quietly that even I barely heard myself "Just leave me alone."

He grabs my hand and turns me to him again. I don't know how he managed to hug me again. But what I do know is that my skin feels so tingly under his touch. Like it's burning. His other hand is on small of my back, sending shivers through my spine. I lift my head up and look him in the eyes. They're still bloodshot. His lips are slightly parted and I need every muscle in my body to prevent me from kissing him. 

'"Come on, Mel, don't leave me again.", he says, going five years in the past.

"Noah, please. Let me go.", I give up on fighting back.

My body shuts down. I realize I'm holding my hands on his stomach. And I can feel his muscles. Not sure if he's straining them on purpose or it's how they're embossed. 

"Not before you kiss me.", he says with confidence.

I can't believe that's my only way out of here. You want it, my subconscious peals.

"Okay.", I reconcile with my destiny.

I close my eyes and feel Noah's warm breath on my cheek. I feel his warmth and face closer. His strong perfume. Even though my body reacts on his closeness, my conscience screams at me. I squeeze his shirt stronger when I open my eyes. I can't. This can't happen.

I move my head just when he was about to kiss me. He's confused. He opens his eyes and meets mine again.

"No, I can't. Bye.", I run out.

I don't know why I'm at the verge of crying right now. Noah's presence and almost-a-kiss have driven me to the edge. Why did I let this happen? Why couldn't I just talk to him?

I get out of the house and run back home. I can't be at that party anymore.