Chapter Ten

I rush into the house half an hour after I received dads' call. And then I see her sitting at kitchen table. She looks different. Almost nothing like the housewife that raised me. Her blonde hair that was always in a messy ponytail changed into bright red. There's no ponytail either, she let her hair fall down her shoulders like a bloody waterfall. She looks like a different person.

Clothes she's wearing are more modern, like she just replaced her casual style. The only thing I recognize are her happy eyes, full of life. When she sees me, she gets up and smiles. She's wearing high heels. Mom in high heels?! Who is this woman?

It's hard to see her. Especially like this. When I see how much she has changed and based on everything, she doesn't miss us at all. She left her home a month ago to come back as a completely different person? Without even calling or texting me. Seems like she was too busy changing her look.

"Mother.", I say quietly.

For a second, I take a look at dad. He's standing very stiff leaned on kitchen island. He looks somewhat distant. I can tell he isn't too enthusiastic about her visit either. I manageto move from that spot and stand closer to dad. I feel more connection with him than her. Even though my relation with her was better than with dad. I guess our relation fell in the water over night. And it will be hard to build it again.

"Amelie!", mother calls out for me and takes few steps closer.

Sound of her heels clacking on the floor is slowly pissing me off. Her appearance is not welcome here anymore. For Gods' sake, this woman left me a month ago! And now she has the nerve to act like nothing happened. Like dad and I aren't pissed. What is with this woman?

When she was about to hug me, I cross my arms, blocking her from that intention. When she realizes what I'm doing, she rashly stops and makes a confused face. Is there something to explain?

"Why are you here?", I ask cold.

"Aren't you glad to see me?", she raises her eyebrow in shock.

"No.", I answer "Not after you left without saying goodbye."

"I had my reasons.", mother says ashamed.

"Let us hear them then.", dad finally says and glances at me.

Five minutes later, mother sits by the table in complete silence while dad and I are watching her from the kitchen island. She's taking forever to speak. She needs a little push. Frankly, I don't want to look at her for a second more.

"If you could hurry, I don't have a whole day. I have a party that I have to attend.", I say casually.

Fortunately, mother doesn't see the glance dad initiated me. I didn't get a chance to tell him, so I hope he's gonna confirm it. After he called me, I couldn't send him that message. I hope he won't think I'm just using him in front of mother. I know he'll give me hard time later.

"Dad is letting you go on a party?", mother shoots him a glare.

"Yes. She's a teenager and with everything that's going on, she deserves some fun.", dad says.

Mother stays quiet again. She shows us the table. She's trying to tell us to sit. Dad and I swap looks and listen.

"I don't wanna say I had an affair while married to your father. It was just an innocent friendship. Till he asked me to move in with him.", mother sighs "I didn't stop loving your father, but that spark between us was long gone. I want to live through my youth again, now when I have a chance."

Secretly, I put my hand on dad's, just so he knows I'm with him. No matter what this unfamiliar woman says. It's sickening to listen to this. I literally feel like throwing up from this story. When I just think that mother had something else going on while being married to my dad. My stomach cramps from the thought.

"Greg has a son your age. He lost his mother when he was a child, so I guess he found replacement mother in me.", she says.

"And I don't deserve a mother?", I snap at her.

Mother closes her eyes and sighs. She looks at me with teary eyes. I don't feel sorry for her. Not even a little bit. I only feel sorry for dad and I. Actually, I don't. Maybe it's better for us that she left.

"Amelie, I'll always be your mother.", her voice is soft.

"No, you won't! I don't want you!", I yell and get up "You left us without a damn goodbye! We didn't know where you were for a month! Dad became both my father and mother. He took this whole damn household on his shoulders. Do you know how hard it was for us? No, you just think about yourself.", I say with teary eyes.

I blink away my tears. She cannot see my pain. I won't allow her the pleasure of seeing me break. I have that much pride to lift my head and not to cry. Not in front of her.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry I left, but please, try to understand me. I did it for myself, Amelie.", mother finally says.

After few minutes of silence, I get back at the table and calm down. I'd liked it more if she just left, but she's stubbornly still sitting by the table and waiting on our attention. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I'm scared I'll maybe say something too much.  She continues with the story.

"Greg and his son travelled around half of world. Their next destination is Spain. I'm going with them for a month.", she looks like she's scared about what she'll say next "They expressed a wish for you to come with us, Amelie."

I look at her before I start laughing. Unbelieveable.