Chapter Twenty Four

A month. We needed half of month to return from Spain and another half for my life to get back to normal. The worst thing was adjusting to other time zone.

When I told dad about mother and Greg, he also needed a good week to get to himself. Since they're still not officially divorced, it even fell harder on him.

Today is another one, not so ordinary Sunday. Family lunch with Noah and his family.

Since we started hanging out again, dad started inviting neighbours on lunch again, and another way around. It's good to have some change.

"Amelia, have you rested from the trip?", Noah's mom, Lauren, smiles.

She knows damn well I was a walking zombie for the past few weeks. Usually I was exhausted during lunch, and mumbling some answers no one understood.

"As much as I could, yes.", I laugh, my mouth full.

"I can't wait to see all the pictures.", Lauren winks at me.

"We'll do that in private.", I wink her back.

I was always seeing Lauren as my second mother. And in my childhood, mother and Lauren were always taking care of Noah and I equally.

I think Lauren is now especially closer to me. I guess she understands how it's like to lose mother, since hers' passed away when she was bit older than me. Not really the same, but mine is dead to me.

Okay, not really.

Noah has younger sister. She was just a kid when we stopped hanging out. Now she's thirteen, and has grown into a beautiful girl with long dark brown hair and green eyes.

Madison, his sister, 'unnoticeably' hits Lauren on her hand. Lauren smiles and looks at me, lowering her cutlery onto plate.

"Amelia, Maddy has a question for you.", Lauren says, warm smile forming on her lips.

I smile at Madison. I wait for her to say something.

A light red color appears on Madison's cheeks while she looks at her plate. Lauren encourages her with some words and Madison gives me a look.

"We have a school dance next week.", Madison's face lights up "Will you help me get ready?"

"Of course.", I say happily "Try to stop me."

By the end of my eye, I see Noah flinch next to me. He knows Madison is now at that age when she already has crushes. He's acting like a protective brother he's always been.

"Who's your date?", I ask Madison.

I have a hidden motive of provoking Noah. As I could see, his father Julian, flinches a little on that question.

Like father, like son.

"Caleb.", Maddison turns red of embarrassment.

"I can't wait to hear everything about Caleb.", I wink at her.

After lunch, I help Lauren make coffee for everyone. Maddison takes a tray of muffins on table, which Lauren made this morning.

I look at Noah, who as ribid jackal, almost immediately grabs one, even before tray hits the table.

Noah looks up, and sticks his tongue at me. Of course he did that with his mouth full. He's really gross sometimes.

"Noah.", my dad says "I hear you were at Florida last month."

First I get confused at that question. How was Noah there if he was with me almost whole month?

"Yes, I was with friends on festival.", Noah answers casually.

No one else notices the warning look he gives me. And then I remember.

--
A month earlier

On our way back, the three Musketeers left us alone in the house office. Noah said that he has something to explain.

And so I sit here, patiently waiting for Noah to begin.

"No one can know I was here. Especially not my parents.", Noah says "They don't know a thing about this life and it's gonna stay that way. As much as they know, I'm at Florida now with those three."

I give him a confused look. I understand. Of course he doesn't want to involve his parents in this kind of life.

"And they just let you go whereever you wanna?", that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

"Yes, they're used to me always going somewhere and that I'm almost never home. They don't have to know all of it.", Noah answers "So, try to not mention where we were."

--

For some time, Noah keeps talking about festival he's never been to, and then they move the subject to something else.

I drag Noah to my room. I hardly separate him from the damn muffins on the table. Not like he hasn't had enough.

I close the door after we get inside. Noah takes a look towards the closet and some smile forms on his lips. I follow his gaze and of course I see that stupid corsette peeking from the closet.

I casually walk there and push it back inside. I curse under my breath for not burning it yet.

When I turn around, Noah stands behind me. I flinch when I see him. Especially because he has that seductive smirk.

"It's been a month.", he states.

"Noah, I'm not gonna sleep with you.", I roll my eyes.

"That's what they all say.", he winks.

That statement pisses me off. My blood starts boiling.

"Why do you think that stupid statement will lead you to anything?", I say irritated.

He confuses in a second. I catched him off guard. He's not used for someone being dissobediant.

"Stop acting like a pig.", I finally say.

"Excuse me?", Noah says with that weird tone.

"I said, stop acting like a pig.", I cross my arms on chest.

Noah looks at me like he wants to freeze my soul.

He snorts and leaves my room.