2

"What's your power?"

"Wanna see what I can do?"

"Woah, her eyes are red!"

"Spooookyyy~"

Mary anxiously bit at her lips and clenched her stuffed rabbit as six of the kids pushed her with questions, the only one standing back was a quiet anxious boy who she could understand was the most timid of all of them. The dark skinned girl gently pet the skirt of her dress.

"Your dress is so pretty! It looks like Alice in Wonderland's!" She gushed, a long, brown haired girl nodding in agreement. The blonde boy she had frozen earlier kind of glared at her, inspecting her in a very intimidating way. There was a tall, lanky boy who was off in his own world, talking to someone Mary couldn't even see, and there was another boy sharpening a knife only a few feet away from her, only making her anxiety worse.

"Come on guys, it's her first day and you already scared her!" She heard Five's voice from behind all the kids. A clap echoed from the staircase, and all of the kids immediately lined up. Mary stood, confused and unaware of where she should stand. Sir Hargreeves walked down the steps, standing next to the blonde kid.

  "Introduce yourselves." He instructed. Each of the kids introduced themselves in the order they were standing.

"Number one. Luther."

"Number two. Diego"

"Number three. Alison."

"Number four. Klaus."

"Number five. Number five." Mary tilted her head.

"N-Number six...Ben."

"Number seven. Vanya."

"Now, Mary. You will be number zero. Number eight doesn't suit you. Zero does just fine." Mary nodded along quite blindly, not exactly sure what she was agreeing to. Hargreeves took a step to the side from Luther. He gestured to the blank space, "stand. Introduce yourself." Mary walked to the spot with her shoulders back and head held high, as she had been instructed by her mother."

"Number zero. Mary."