8

Mary whimpered, curled into the corner of the dark and cold closet, the only thing she could see being a mirror on the other side

"Face yourself, Number Zero." Reginald Hargreeves instructed sternly. Mary hated practicing her powers. She shakily stood to her feet, hoping the image she had previously seen went away. Slowly reaching the mirror her hopes were quickly dashed as she saw multiple snakes, black with beady red eyes. These snakes weren't hers. She didn't know who they belonged to, all she knew was that they wanted to hurt her.

As the snakes began to curl around her and restrict her from moving, she began to scream.

On the other side of the Closet, a boy by the name of Number Five froze in a cold sweat upon hearing his best friends screams. He rushed forward to his so-called "father", grabbing his arm.

"Dad, stop! You're hurting her!!" He pleaded, only for sir Hargreeves to yank his arm away and glare intensely at him.

"I am helping her. You are far out of place Number Five. Step back." Mary's screams stopped, and Five recoiled, being a bit more relieved to hear that she wasn't in pain, but he still was full of worry. Hargreeves knocked on the door, "Are you ready? What do you see, Number Zero?" There was no response to his question.

All in one moment, the sounds of sobs started to come from the closet, pleas of help also being heard. All of the girl in the closet's siblings covered their ears, all except Five.

"Dad, please! This isn't good for her, she's scared!!" He practically begged for Hargreeves to let his friend go.

"NUMBER FIVE!!" Hargreeves roared, making Five flinch. The man pointed to the stairs, "Get to your room now! You are restricted from dinner until further notice." He growled. Five, furious, space jumped his way into his room, immediately sitting on his bed and brainstorming a way, any way, that he could possibly help his friend. He sighed and covered his head with a pillow to muffle her screams from downstairs.

After some time of thought, he heard footsteps going up the stairs. Slow, exhausted footsteps. He was a little on edge until he heard the person open the door of the room across from his, telling him it was her.

Mary, still shaking and sniffling, closed the door to her room, locking it. She started to walk to her bed, yet she collapsed onto the ground, tired in all ways possible. She stared down at her hands, beginning to cry. She realized that day that she was a monster, and if she had stayed with her mother she probably would have killed her. She put her head in her hands, her body shaking with sobs.

Cutting the silent air was, to Mary, a familiar sound. The one of her best friend appearing in front of her. She jumped, stumbling back a bit, immediately turning away to rub her eyes. Five, who had a white blanket wrapped around him, also had a concerned look in his eyes. Upon turning around, Mary noticed the blanket and asked about it weakly. Five, who had just realized he still had it on, laughed a little.

"Oh! Well, it helps me think..I guess I just forgot to take it off earlier." Taking a look at Mary's red-eyed, tired, and shaking form, Five took pity, taking off the blanket wrapped around him and leaning forward, gently putting it around her instead. Her eyes widened a bit in shock, and Five gave her a small sympathy filled smile. Smiling back, Mary snuggled her face into the blanket.

 Smiling back, Mary snuggled her face into the blanket

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you down there.." Five said apologetically, and Mary shook her head.

"I'm alright, don't worry."

"Easier said than done." Five put his hand on her shoulder, and she smiled. "So you finally got it?" He asked, interested to know how she finally got herself out of there.

"I did. With the help of this." Mary reached into her pocket as Five watched.

He smiled when she pulled out a white stuffed rabbit.