12

"The world ends in eight days, and I have no idea how to stop it

"The world ends in eight days, and I have no idea how to stop it." Five finished his story. "All I have...is this." He tossed a round object in his hand, showing Mary that it was the eye.

Mary, whose mouth had been hanging open during the whole entire story that Five told, let out a gigantic sigh.

"Oh my god." She put her head in her hands. Five let her sit and think for a bit, sitting back to inspect the eye.

"Long story short, I'm gonna need your help with this." Mary looked up and nodded quickly.

"Of course."

"Tomorrow, you and I can go to the manufacturers of this thing and find out who it belongs to, got it?"

"Yeah."

"I'll leave you alone for the night, then." Five stood from her bed and sent her a nod.

"Hey, wait." Mary stood quickly to stop him from moving. She fidgeted with her fingers, clearly bothered by something, "I'm going to do something real quick, you can yell at me after. I just owe something to my younger self, okay?" Five stared somewhat bewildered at her, but nodded nonetheless.

"Sure, as long as you don't stab me"- Five's sentence seemed to cut off as Mary wrapped her arms around him. He tensed a bit, as he had forgotten the feeling of a hug, not to mention what to do about it. He, in a way, "went with it", wrapping his arms around her lower waist.

The two of them stood in each other's company for some time, soaking in the nostalgia and pain from being apart.

They finally pulled away, Mary averting her eyes and Five clearing his throat, the two of them sputtering out words at the same time.

"Goodnight."

"Sleep well."

"Sorry, what did you say?"

"It doesn't matter, you should rest."

"I haven't in awhile."

The second Five left the room Mary collapsed on her bed, letting out a sigh she didn't even know she was holding in.

The world ending, huh?

She was surprised by the fact that she felt nothing. Maybe it hadn't sunk in yet, or maybe it just didn't matter to her.

Or maybe she just wanted to die.

No, that can't be it. Perhaps she had nothing to live for, but that didn't mean she wanted to die.

But she did have something to live for, didn't she? Placing a hand over her loudly beating heart, she realized this. She had people to live for now. She had a point now, one that mattered.

And now, people were relying on her without even knowing. Sighing, Mary closed her eyes, almost immediately drifting off to sleep.

Lord knows she had a long day ahead of her.

((Sorry for the shorter chapter, a much longer one will be out soon! Ily all and I'm so glad you're enjoying this story! 💞💞))