6

Five anxiously paced around the room as Mary put together a sandwich for him: Peanut Butter and Marshmallows

Five anxiously paced around the room as Mary put together a sandwich for him: Peanut Butter and Marshmallows. It was always his favorite, and she hoped silently that that didn't change about him. The rest of the Hargreeves huddled around a table, Klaus sitting on top of it with Vanya and Alison on one side and Diego on the other with Luther.

"What's the date? The exact date." Five asked.

"The 24th." Vanya replied.

  "Of what?" Five spat impatiently.

"March." Mary piped up, handing him the sandwich she made. He gave her a brief smile that she returned and took the sandwich, pausing his pacing a bit. Mary went and sat down next to where Five was pacing, in front of Vanya on a stool.

"Good." He said, taking a bite from his snack and humming in agreement, making Mary smile softly. Luther looked around at his siblings, who looked equally as clueless as him, excluding Mary and Five.

"Are we going to talk about what happened?" Luther sputtered awkwardly only to be completely ignored by Five. He stood, clearly annoyed. "It's been 17 years." Five chuckled pitifully.

"It's been a lot longer than that." He said, continuing to pace as he stared at his feet, taking bites of his sandwich every now and then.

"Where were you?" Diego asked.

"The future. It's shit, by the way." Five replied monotonously. Mary's eyes widened.

"Called it." Klaus exclaimed.

"I should've listened to the old man." Five sighed, "you know, jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of the dice." He recited Reginald Hargreeves' words wisely, and Mary began to realize how much he had truly changed. It was mostly in his voice and attitude, his high pitched voice and childish characteristics had been replaced with a deeper, quite intimidating voice, and an impression of superiority due to the way he walked and presented himself.

Mary could only hope he still had room for her.

Five looked up from the ground, narrowing his eyebrows at Klaus. He nodded to him, "Nice dress." Klaus looked down to inspect it himself, before offering a goofy smile, and grabbing a tassel connected to "his" skirt, twirling it around.

"Oh, well, Danke~!" He sang. Vanya put up her hand, true confusion on her face.

"Wait, how did you get here?" She asked. Mary turned from Klaus back to Five, wanting to know the answer. The two of them often sat together in Five's room to read books on time travel back then, but Mary didn't think they learned much on how to get back, seeming as though nobody had ever done it before at the time, and even now only Five could understand it. She knew she'd have to catch him sometime after dad's memorial, and he could tell her about it.

"Well, you see I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time." He explained. Mary, completely understanding, nodded along, a complete contrast to the totally lost faces of her siblings.

"That makes no sense." Diego said. Then Mary and Five spoke at the same time.

"It would if you were smarter."

"It makes perfect sense to me." Diego stood to, Mary guessed, throw a punch or a knife or two at Five, who looked at Mary when she spoke. Mary shrugged a bit at his gaze, giving him what could only be described as a kind of dorky smile.

Luther held back Diego, "How long were you there?"

"Forty-Five years. Give or take." Mary's mouth hung open kind of unprofessionally, and she made sure to close it before anyone noticed. Luther sat back down with Diego, now everyone except Five looking absolutely shocked.

"So what are you saying? That you're 58?" Luther sputtered. Five smirked in a "I'm smarter than every single person in this room" way, looking up to meet Luthers wide-eyed gaze.

"No, my consciousness is 58. Apparently, my body is now 13 again." He sighed. Mary couldn't help but be relieved, no offense to older people but she had never really desired hanging around with a 58 year old. Vanya had to close her eyes to try and process what he was saying, clearly having some sort of migraine.

"Wait, how does that even work?" She asked. Five, ignoring her, walked to the other side of the room.

"Dolores kept saying the equations were off. Eh, bet she's laughing now." Mary's eyes widened in interest and slight jealousy that someone else got to hang around in the future with Five instead of her.

"Dolores?" Vanya questioned, only to be ignored yet again as Five picked up the newspaper on the table flashing the news about Mr. Hargreeves.

"So I missed the funeral, huh?"

"How'd you know about that?" Luther asked. Mary rolled her eyes at his dense attitude.

"What part of the future do you not understand?" Five snapped, before reading a bit of the newspaper, leaving the room in silence until he spoke again. He lifted his head from the paper, his eyes meeting Mary's near immediately, "Heart failure, huh?"

"Yeah."

"No." Luther and Diego spoke as the rest of the Hargreeves' did, making them all glare at them. Five hummed, then clicked his tongue.

"Glad to see nothing's changed." He began to leave.

"That's it? That's all you're going to say?" Alison called after him.

"What else is there to say? It's the circle of life." Five shot back. Mary smiled.