26

"Mary. Mary. Mary." Luther was continuously shaking his illegitimate sister, trying to wake her up. She opened her eyes with a groan, shooing him away.

"Back off, King Kong, I'm tired." She mumbled groggily.

"Come on, we need to talk. All of us."

"No."

"It's about the apocalypse, we need to come up with something."

"I'll be down in five minutes." Once Luther left Mary stretched her arms out above her head, her snakes hissing into both of her ears. She sat up, and swung her legs over the side of her bed, standing up and changing into her normal outfit. She got rid of her snakes and brushed through her hair, soon after making her way downstairs, where Alison handed her a hot chocolate. She thanked her and sat down on the couch, looking around at the people near her and realizing a couple absences. Five had been MIA since he vanished right in front of Mary the previous day, but someone else was also missing.

"Where's Vanya?" Mary asked.

"She's not...really...part of the plan." Luther said awkwardly.

"What?!" Mary exclaimed.

"She's not..."

"Special", like us?" Mary said, glaring at Luther.

"This is too dangerous for her.." Mary huffed, standing up.

"If she's not a part of this then neither am I." She said, placing her cup down on the table.

"Mary, come on, we don't have time for this."

"We absolutely have time for this! She's our sister, she deserves to know about this! She has to be able to help us in one way or another." Luther sighed, shaking his head.

"Go look for her, we'll have the meeting without you." Alison turned to Luther.

"Come on, you know we can't do this without her. She's one of our most powerful." She argued.

"She made her choice." Mary and Luther hadn't broken their agitated eye contact, and Mary stood up straight, holding up her chin.

"I'll see you when we die, family." She spat, turning towards the door and walking out.

"Wait...we die??" She heard Klaus sputter on her way out. She racked her brain for where Vanya's apartment was, and she began to walk in the direction she remembered it being in.

"Mary?" She turned towards the familiar voice, her eyes landing on her sister, as well as the man she had been with a few days ago, who Mary remembered as Leonard. The two of them were coming from the exact opposite direction of Vanya's apartment.

"Vanya, good morning." She greeted, walking over to her. She saw that Vanya was in the middle of opening the gate to the academy, and she frowned a little, "I'm not sure you want to go in there." She said. Vanya looked at her, a question in her eyes.

"What? What's going on?"

"Follow me." Mary slipped past Vanya and Leonard, who exchanged confused looks with each other, and led them into the house, walking into the living room where Luther was explaining how everybody had died in the apocalypse, which, in Mary's opinion, should've been obvious.

"Hey." Vanya said softly, everybody immediately turning to her. Mary smiled smugly at Luther.

"I found her." She said sarcastically.

"What's going on?" Vanya asked. Alison cleared her throat.

"It's a family matter."

"A family matter." Vanya repeated, "so of course you couldn't bother to include me."

"No, it's not like that, we were-"

"Don't let me interrupt." Vanya cut off Luther, turning towards the door.

"Wait, I'll fill you in when we're alone." Alison said, walking towards Vanya.

"Please, don't bother." Vanya mumbled, "I won't either."

"Vanya, that's not fair."

"Fair?" Vanya spat, "there's nothing fair about being your sister. For as long as I can remember, I have been left out of everything! Everything except sitting in Mary's room with her and reading a book while all of you were out playing superhero. And sometimes I didn't even have her." Mary looked at Vanya, suddenly more guilty about leaving the academy. Vanya turned from Alison to the rest of her "family", "I used to think it was dad's fault, but he's dead. So it turns out you guys are the assholes." She turned, storming off with Leonard on her heels. Mary quickly caught up to Vanya, grabbing her arm.

"Hey.." Vanya turned around, tears in her eyes. Mary frowned, letting go of her arm, "I know that they might not be that accepting, but, uh..you'll always be a part of my family, okay?" She said a bit awkwardly. Vanya smiled a little.

"I know. Thank you, Mary." She pulled Mary in for a quick hug, but left after, still angry over the ordeal. Mary, on the other hand, walked back into the living room, sitting back down on the couch.

"I know you can't possibly do this without me, so what's the plan?" Luther sighed, clearly angry at Mary for letting in Vanya, but spoke all the same.

"We need to figure out what caused the apocalypse. It could be a number of things, Nuclear Wars, Asteroids..but I'm thinking that this is about the moon." Mary snorted a laugh, earning a sharp glare from the "leader" of their family. 

"Sorry, sorry, please go on." She urged through her giggles. Luther sighed.

"Dad must've sent me up there for a reason. And I was giving him daily updates on the conditions, I sent field samples. The first thing we need to do is find his research."

"Hold the phone." Klaus slurred, smacking his hand on the table and making Mary jump lightly. "We all died when we fought this thing the first time around, remember?"

"Klaus, shockingly, has a point. What gives us a win this time?" Diego asked.

"Five." Mary raised her eyebrow and looked around dramatically.

"You can see him too???" She spat sarcastically.

"We can look for him." Luther said, his eyebrows narrowed angrily at Mary. "Then we'll have the full force of the academy. That's what we need."

"I'm going after Hazel and Cha-Cha." Said Diego.

"Now?" Luther asked.

"Hell yeah. Three days and I'm losing light by the minute."

"Diego, we have a bigger problem than avenging your friend-"

"She wasn't just some friend!" Diego spat, "if I'm gonna die, I need to know I killed those bastards first."

"I'll tag along." Said Mary, "They broke the vase in my room. It was my favorite." She shrugged, and Luther threw up his arms.

"Mary, I thought you wanted to end the apocalypse too!" He argued.

"Five has it under control. I don't want to risk screwing it up for him." She said.

"If we just look through the files-"

"Stop making this about you." Diego spat, walking off with Mary on his heels. They both split to grab supplies, and Mary had been in her room for a few minutes when someone called to her.

"Mary, I'm tying up Klaus, wanna join?!"

"Son of a bitch."