19

"Hey, Mar." Mary looked up from the book her nose was stuffed in to meet the eyes of Alison.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked, closing her book and sitting up.

"I'm going out to find Vanya, I think we should talk this whole mom thing out with the family. Wanna tag along?" She asked, smiling sweetly. Mary returned her smile with one of her own, nodding.

"I'd be so delighted to." She swung her legs around the bed, standing up and following Alison out of the house, grabbing a jacket.

The two sisters walked down the street, being stopped so many times by Alison's fans that Mary lost count. When they weren't being swarmed, they had time to stop and grab pretzels from a vender, both of them relaxing once they were able to enjoy a quiet moment.

"So. How are you and Five?" Alison asked. Mary sighed, shrugging.

"I wish I could say the same as always, but unfortunately...he's gotten more annoying." She huffed, taking an angry bite of her pretzel. Alison laughed.

"You two always had something. Almost like what me and Luther had.." she trailed off.

"Not as romantic, I'd say." Mary commented, making Alison chuckle and push her playfully. Mary smiled, suddenly spotting a familiar face in the distance, "Hey, I found Vanya." She said, her and Alison getting up.

"Who's she walking with?" Alison asked, referring to the slightly taller man Vanya was talking to. He had dark hair and a shadow of a beard, giving off both a friendly and somewhat unsettling vibe. Alison and Mary approached them, and Vanya turned to address their presence.

"Oh..Alison. Mary."

"Hey." Alison greeted. Vanya turned to the man she was speaking to.

"Leonard, these are my sisters, Alison and Mary." Leonard shook Mary's hand, and stared at Alison for a bit. Mary sighed, here we go.

"Wait a second, I know you. You were in that movie! Yeah, the tough lawyer in the wheelchair!" Alison chuckled lightly, Vanya smiling.

"Yeah, that was me." Alison said. Leonard turned to Vanya.

"You didn't tell me you had a movie star for a sister!" He exclaimed. Vanya nodded a bit awkwardly. Leonard turned back to Mary and Alison, "you were both in that...uh..umbrella thing, right?" They nodded. "Boy, you haven't aged a day!" He looked at Mary, laughing. She just gave him a bit of a grimace in return. He looked at Vanya. "You weren't in that, were you?" Mary looked worriedly at Vanya, knowing she was a little sensitive to being compared to her siblings. She shook her head.

"No, I was a bit of a..fifth Beatle of the family.." she trailed off.

"I never really liked the Beatles. More of a stones guy, I am." Leonard said, making Vanya smile. Mary may have looked young, but she knew tension when she saw it. She shot Alison a "woah" look, and Alison practically mirrored it. Alison cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but could you come back to the house? We're having a meeting."

"You guys want me there?" Vanya asked.

"Always." Mary responded, smiling at her. Vanya smiled back at Mary.

"It's about mom." Alison clarified. Vanya looked at Leonard.

"I'm sorry-"

"Oh, don't be! We can do a rain check on dinner." He said, sending her a charming smile. She nodded, the two of them exchanging goodbyes before Leonard walked away.

"Who's the guy?" Alison asked.

"He's a...friend." Vanya said. Mary held back a laugh. Alison smirked.

"Friend~?"

"No, it's not...like that. I'm just trying to...not separate myself from everything and everyone." She said, sending Alison sort of a dirty look. Mary realized something must've happened between them, and she averted her gaze from their conversation.

"I...I'm sorry." Alison apologized, "I shouldn't have said what I did yesterday. I was angry with Patrick, I just took it out on you. I'm real sorry." She smiled sadly, "I'm not really..good at this whole sister thing.." she said. Mary shook her head, thinking the exact opposite.

"I hadn't noticed." Vanya said.

"Ouch!" Alison joked, "Tell me how you really feel."

"Maybe I will." Vanya said, a smug look on her face.

"Okay!" Alison laughed. Mary, smiling, decided to butt in.

"Ladies, not that I don't love listening to this conversation, but I believe we should get back sooner rather than later." Alison laughed again, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Alright, Shakespeare, we mustn't keep you waiting!" She joked, Vanya softly putting an arm around Mary as they walked back.

(Just they girls.)