Chapter 10: The Fence

Josie

It was the first day of school and I was dropping the kids off to school. Raymond was riding with me to walk Jace into school. I was highly emotional today my baby boy starts pre-k. It seems like yesterday I found out I was pregnant. "Alright big baby, have a good day at school" I stopped in front of Morgan's school. She put her purple braids up into a ponytail. "Make sure you give that documentation to all your teachers" I said

"I will" she said. I really have to stay on top of Morgan about these things regarding her health, she just doesn't understand how important it is. I don't want any teachers giving her hell this year because they don't know what's going on so I got a letter from the hospital explaining her illness better. "Have a good day Morgan" Raymond said

"Thank you Raymond, thanks Jo... I'll see y'all later" she said. I watched her immediately run into her squad she was so cute watching her walk with her friends. The moment she wanted a side backpack was the moment I knew she wasn't a baby anymore. Raymond looked in the backseat to see Jace knocked out.

"I don't know why he's sleep, he's about to be in that line" he laughed. I turned off the car "Jace" I called. He opened his eyes "Time for school" I said. We all got of the car I felt my eyes get teary eyed. "Here you go" he said. We both held his hand walking to the line of preschoolers. "Alright lil man, you ready to start school? Raymond asked him. "No" he shook his head scared. The both of us laughed "You'll be fine, you're a smart little boy" he told him. "Oh God" I wiped my eyes. "Okay baby, mommy loves you give me a hug," I said. He turned around hugging me as I picked him up. "My babyy, omg you're getting old on me" I rubbed his back. "Mommy put me down" he said. "Okay," I said putting him down. Wanna be phony already I see. The teacher approached us "Hi, my name is Ms. Myers and who is this lucky guy? She asked us.

"Jace McCall" Raymond spoke. She looked down at her list. "Alright, are you ready? She asked him. "Yes," he said

"He's in great care you two," she said taking his hand. "Thank you" I said watching him lead him to the line. This was amazing and sad at the same time the fact that Raymond was in his child's life felt good in my spirit. We both grew years ago and I'm just glad were co-parenting effortlessly. I really didn't want to do this alone forever. We watched them all enter the building. Jace turned around waving at me. "Bye baby," I said. Raymond waved "Be good" he said. Botha of us got back in the car. I sat there for a second wiping my eyes. Jace will never understand the joy he gave me when I was going through that rough time in my life. Just being able to wake up to my kid that loves me unconditional was enough to motivate me. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for Jace and my little sis. "You act like he's going to college" he laughed. "Soon he will, time flies," I said starting the car. "Shit, is crazy tho we got a pre-schooler" he leaned back in the car. I was dropping him back to his house. Raymond still works the night promoting as well as being a brand ambassador for his looks. He was making his money to take care of his fiancé and our son so I wasn't mad.

"What you bout to do? I asked. "Mm, probably get my hair braided, workout take my girl out" he said. "Gotta get the hair silky smooth for those photoshoots huh? I asked

"You ain't know," he said. Raymond never knew how to act since he's been blessed with long hair. "What you about to do? He asked. "Yoga then rehearsals for the show," I said. "I heard about the shop, you good? He asked. "Yeah, got the ceiling fixed and the dresses cleaned, it costs a small fortune but I got it done," I said

"I respect it, just a little setback," he said.

"I know right, you and Kayla are more welcomed to come to the show if you want. I know she's looking for a wedding dress" I smiled. "Girl, you want everybody to fuck with your dresses," he said playfully.