Nangong Rui (iv)

A/N: I got a job! So I won't be on patreon anymore! This also means my time to write has been cut extremely short which is one of the main reasons I haven't updated...and kinda disappeared off the face of the earth but I really don't want to give up writing my novels even if no one wants to read them anymore because I am very unreliable haha. Expect sporadic updates I guess... :0

Within the large conference room in Z City's military compound sat a handsome man with short black hair and stunningly light brown-bordering a glowing gold-eyes that seemed eternally encapsulated in ice. Unlike the standard crew-cut as would have been expected from someone of his standing, the young Major General had been on his leave for two weeks until the meteor shower ruined his rare vacation. As a result, his bangs had grown somewhat and Feng Xinya didn't bother styling them in any way before he'd left the manor, leaving them to drape carelessly over his smooth forehead.

The unzipped jacket exposed his sleeveless white shirt underneath it that did nothing to hide Sima Lei's toned torso brimming with muscles and vitality. His pecs were just as prominent as his hardened 8-pack abs, and his jeans failed to conceal the strength within his thighs and calves. On the large oval table before him laid an intricate sword made of a human spine that brought chills down one's own vertebrae.

Beside him stood one of Sima Lei's three direct subordinates, Huang Jin. This man was the delegated leader among the three, with his daunting figure standing at about 190cm, short, neatly-combed golden blond hair, and piercingly sharp azure eyes. He was a stalwart and reliable man, and not nearly as cold and indifferent as Sima Lei. When he spoke, his voice was crude and gruff, but his tone was always serious and confident. This confident man was standing respectfully slightly behind and beside Feng Xinya as he recounted the events after the meteor shower quietly in the large room with only a few other Generals and Colonels.

Although Feng Xinya stood out due to his distinct and excessively casual appearance as opposed to the rigid military attire within the room full of soldiers, nobody dared to confront him about it. After all, Sima Lei had always been the no-nonsense type of man who did not tolerate any bullshit. It wasn't as if Sima Lei did not have his military attire in the closet in his villa, but Feng Xinya did not care to don them as Sima Lei himself was not a stickler for the customs.

Not glued to trivialities, Sima Lei was the type of man who was strict to others in drills and practicals, but strictest to himself, which ultimately earned him the respect of a lot of the common soldiers. Of course, due to his lack of backing, the traditional military families who'd failed to rope him to their sides more than once were generally not fond of him as a potential usurper of their positions and did not hesitate to pick at any of his faults.

Unfortunately for them, the vast majority of the members of those families had yet to awaken from the shower-induced comatose states, and those who had were in no mental condition to take charge of the situation, save for one or two of them who actually deserved to be members of those distinguished military families.

Of course, those rare few respected Sima Lei's conviction to take his own path by not yielding to their large families and did not hold anything against him. Thus, the current situation was that no soldiers dared to belittle the Major General who implemented the toughest and most ironclad rule over his regiment of 10,000 men. Even now when the apocalypse had seemingly begun and zombies were running amok on the streets and inside the base, it was Sima Lei's three direct subordinates that had risen first with newfound powers and taken control of the chaotic situation until one of the other Generals had awoken.

The meteor shower had happened only a little over two days ago. Within the first few hours after the world had suddenly fallen asleep, some of the soldiers had woken up in confusion to see their comrades sharing the same bunker indiscriminately eating their peers. The unlucky ones fell victim, while the fortunate and level-headed ones either managed to flee or apprehend their frenzied brothers-in-arms. Very few people had discovered that they possessed supernatural abilities that could never have been imagined before the apocalypse.