12

"That , my friend, is your date."

His words catch me off guard, and I look at him in surprise.

"My what?" I exclaim, causing him to look at me weirdly.

"Your date." He says slowly. I continue to sit kind of frozen in my place, unsure of what to say.

"Um, what do you mean?" I attempt to make him clarify, my eyes wide. He rolls his own, lying down on his bed whilst looking at me.

"You said you wanted a roommate who could set you up on dates and that kinda shit so I found a girl for you." He grins proudly, but my mind goes into panic.

I'm not ready to come out to him yet. It could easily ruin what we have only recently built up together, and I'm not willing to do that yet. Although, I'm also not sure if I'm willing to go on a date with some girl. I stay frozen in my spot as my mind goes haywire trying to think up some excuse, and Reece looks at me with a soft tilt in his head, kinda like a puppy, showing that he's confused. Goddammit, why is he so fucking cute? It's not fair.

"Um, I-I can't do that." I murmur finally, breaking the silence and making Reece frown as he sits up.

"What? Why not? She's a really sweet girl, you'd love her-" He tries to justify, but I quickly cut him off.

"No, you don't get it, it's not that." I say quickly, but Reece just looks even more confused and slightly hurt.

"Then what is it? If you don't tell me I won't ever get it." He huffs, crossing his arms over his chest defensively. I groan, not wanting to get into this right now and thinking of ways to avoid it.

"Reece, I can't tell you. Please don't get mad at me." I pout slightly, approaching Reece only to have him move away from me. He body slouches backwards and I can tell he's annoyed by the way his eyebrows scrunch up and his eyes are narrowed, but it's nothing like he usually does. He's not angry.

"How can I not get mad at you? We're supposed to be roommate goals, how can I do that if you won't even talk to me?" He says indignantly.

"Hey, you only just stopped being an asshole, it'll take me a while to properly trust you enough to tell you all my secrets." As I finish speaking, my hand reaches out and places itself softly onto Reece's shoulder; just with that I can see Reece's whole posture loosen up slightly, his eyebrows de-knitting and his frown disappearing. I attempt to hide my grin, loving the effect I have on the older boy. He rolls over and looks at me, almost as though he were admiring my face, and I cower away slightly, my own face heating up under his gaze. He finally sighs exaggeratedly, turning back to look at the ceiling.

"Fine then, I guess I'll just have to go out with her myself." Reece grins cheekily, watching me attentively for my reaction, as though he knows that will make me jealous. My mouth opens slightly indignantly.

"W-What? I-I never said..." I trail off, blushing profusely at how protective I sound.

"I was kidding dude. She'll be there if you change your mind, I won't make any moves." He laughs, and I attempt to do so as well, despite the tight knot in my chest.

"Thanks." I murmur. We stay silent for a second, and I'm afraid that Reece can see through my suspicious words, but he seems to brush it off.

"So, wanna help me with Maths?" He says, quickly sitting up and changing the subject.

"Well, not particularly, but you're gonna make me anyways so what the point in fighting it?" I say playfully, making Reece knock his shoulder against my own as we set up our books at the desk. We pull in our chairs and sit down, although my stomach accidentally does a sort of backflip when I feel his leg pressed up against my own, but I try my best to ignore my pestering brain. Stop it George, you're being silly, I tell myself, shaking my head lightly to try and rid it of those thoughts. They are simply pointless.

"So, I don't really get what we've been doing recently." Reece trails off, looking up at me sheepishly when I roll my eyes. We both chuckle lightly as I open my own book, noticing there's probably three times more notes in mine than his.

"Okay, so topic two is purely algebraic functions, basically all the shit you were supposed to learn for your maths gcse but then five times harder." I look up at him to see his eyes trained on the paper, a concentrated look on his face as he plays with his lower lip with his hands.

"Right, well I failed my maths gcse, so..." He trails off when he sees me face plant, chuckling right afterwards.

"Honestly, how did you even get into this uni..." I joke lightly, elbowing him in the stomach.

"I honestly don't know, man." He plays along, making me laugh louder. I can't help but notice the way Reece stops to watch my laugh, and my face flushes. I look back down at the papers suddenly to ignore the feeling of butterflies in my stomach, since I know Reece probably didn't mean to stare at me. I softly clear my throat, swallowing tightly.

"So, um, maths." I stutter, glancing up at Reece who finally seems to snap out of it.

"Right. Maths." He murmurs, moving away from me slightly.

What just happened?

you guys are all the absolute sweetest, i stg ksjsksj