21

{unedited cause im lazy}

Christmas couldn't have been more enjoyable. I needed some family time to distract me from everything going on at school, but now that I'm returning to campus, the same feeling of dread begins to build in my stomach. My leg taps nervously against the floor of the car, blending in with the beat of the song. My dad hums along, unaware of the mental battle I'm having, and he eventually pulls into a parking spot, before turning to look at me.

"Well George, I guess this is it for now. Study hard, your next break will come before you know it. I'm proud of you, son." My dad sighs, patting my shoulder.

"Thanks dad. I'll come visit soon." I quickly hug him before I get out of the car, saying a final goodbye before shutting the door behind me. I swing my bag around my shoulder and I begin walking towards the large building, seeing occasional students wondering around the school ground. I see the familiar doom rooms building, and I almost slow down my pace, but then I knock some sense into myself. I can't let my fear of facing Reece interfere with my everyday life. I have to keep going normally.

I take out my keys once I'm facing the familiar door, taking a deep breath in before unlocking it and swinging it open. My breath catches in my throat when I see the three boys sat around the room, holding bottles and cigarettes. They all stop talking when they hear the door, looking over at me with wide eyes. Reece gets up suddenly, his cigarette between his fingers, and he looks at me wearily; I haven't moved from the door, my eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar.

"George... I thought you weren't coming back until later." Reece's voice is slow, showing his slight intoxication, but it's doesn't really sound awful. It takes me a few seconds to process his words before I finally recover my voice.

"I-I, uh... change of plans." I eventually mutter, not tearing my eyes from Reece's disheveled appearance. We don't say anything for a few seconds, Reece staying staring at me with a hard expression and my voice to caught in my throat to escape. I can feel the dread sleeping through my veins at the sight of the mess, my eyes worried. How long has this being going on for?

I barely notice how one of Reece's friends slowly stands up and makes his way over towards me, stumbling slightly. He stops right in front of me, making me bash my back again the door in shock.

"So... you're George." He slurs, his eyes examining my face; he has long brown hair that's pulled into a small ponytail on top of his head, and a small beard coating his chin. His brown eyes are rimmed with red, and his breath is heavy with alcohol, making me cringe lightly. I move away so that we aren't touching in the slightest, feeling slightly revolted by his presence.

"W-What..." I can't manage to say enough, my words getting caught in my throat.

"We've heard a lot about you..." His hands comes out to slowly trail down my arm, but I quickly jolt him off me.

"Don't touch him Max." Reece's sudden growl catches me off guard, and I snap my eyes towards him.

"Just go." He directs his words to both boys this time, the other one nodding quickly and grabbing Max's forearm.

"See you at the party tonight Reece?" The other one asks, sounding slightly less drunk than Max but not completely right.

"Yeah, see you." Reece mutters, and I quickly move out of the way so they can exit.

"Bye George." Max murmurs before slamming the door behind him, leaving Reece and I standing in the most awkward possible silence. He looks at me with hard, slightly unfocused eyes, his cigarette still lit between his fingers. I feel a slight shake in my knees; something about Reece light this terrifies me. I thought he was doing alright at the moment; he hadn't drunk or smoked for ages, and much less at 2 in the afternoon! I felt disappointed, not only at Reece but at myself. I finally let out a long, frustrated sigh, bending to pick up two glass bottles from the ground and placing them neatly beside the door.

"Are you out of your mind? You can't drink and smoke at this time of the day!" I quickly fume, sending daggers in Reece's direction. I watch his eyebrows raise in surprise, and his hands clench.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do." He says sharply, and I stop in the middle of the room in shock, due to his hard tone.

"Excuse me? You think I'm just gonna let you get hammered at 2 in the afternoon? You're wrong." I growl.

"Hammered? Do I really look hammered to you?" Reece spits, raising his voice slightly. He comes up to me, too close to me, and glares down at me. "I've had half a drink. Just enough to let me loosen up and calm down when I start panicking about my fucked up life!" He pushes me lightly, but I don't resist, my feet catching me quickly. He breathes out in frustration, turning towards his side of the room and stomping quickly towards his cupboard. I watch him rapidly pull out a few jumpers and shirts, pulling them aside, before grabbing a leather jacket and pulling it on, doing up the buttons. He also pulls on a black beanie, tucking his hair into the sides. Finally, he catches my eye from across the room again, and I can almost feel the anger radiating off them, sending a chill down my spine. Either way, I don't flinch when he approaches me, his eyes staying connected with mine, but he storms right past me, his shoulder almost bashing against mine, but I manage to move away right before he can hit me.

"I'm going out." Those words make my shoulders sag, because I'm so damn sick of him avoiding me and just leaving.

"No, don't go again." I can't help the words that subconsciously slip out of my mouth, as a soft mumble. Reece stops right before the door, but doesn't turn around. "You can't... you wouldn't..." He lets out an almost inaudible sigh, glaring over his shoulder at me.

"Watch me." He spits, before slamming the door and leaving me standing alone in the room.

this is lAte im sorry :(
i literally asked my mum what day it was (that's how the last few weeks of school always end up being lol) and i thought i HAVE TO update, but i forgot either way oops