19

The air outside is colder than expected as I walk out the building, a fresh shiver cascading down my spine as I look around. The area is fairly empty, nobody opting to stay around the school on a Tuesday evening. I make my way down the stairs towards the entrance, looking around for anyone who might turn out to be my date, a nervous cluster of butterflies fluttering wildly in my stomach. I breathe out deeply, very shakily, as I finally spot a male standing by the door, his phone in his hand as he leans against the wall. Slowly, I make my way over to him, and when he looks up, I freeze entirely, my eyes wide. He does the same, his jaw dropping.

"Adam?" My voice is high pitched as I let out a quiet, incredulous mumble of his name. I could not believe my eyes.

"G-George? What are you doing here?" He says nervously, looking around for any other person who could turn out to be his date.

"Reece set me up on a date. And apparently, with you" I murmur, and Adam's face falls in realisation. He scrambles to stuff his phone into the back pocket of his jeans; I had to admit, he looked nice. His black jeans were accompanied by a floral, dark shirt, loose fitted and tucked in, and then some simple black shoes. His hair was slicked back yet still looked soft as hell.

"T-That was Reece?" His soft voice meets my ears, and I send him a hesitant smile.

"Yeah. Is that hard to believe?" I smile slightly, and Adam stuffs his hands into his pockets sheepishly.

"He-He just seemed a lot nicer than how you described him to be. I hadn't realised you were even on speaking terms." Adam said quietly, and I'm silent for a moment, before I finally sigh.

"I take it you want to... cancel this date then?" I mumble, looking down at my shoes that messed around with the dirt ground. I look back up when I hear the incredulous laugh leave Adams lips.

"What, and miss the chance to go out with one of my cute, totally out of my league best friends? I think the hell not." He smirks, and I let out a quiet, almost unbelieving giggle.

"But... won't it be awkward?" I ask sheepishly.

"Only if we make it awkward." He raises his eyebrows, but then eventually let's out a sigh. "Look, if you don't feel comfortable, I totally understand. But the thing is, we're both looking for the same thing. We're both currently single, there's no harm on us going on a date. If something comes from it, then that's great; if not, it's not the end of the world." I take in Adams words, thinking carefully.

He's not wrong. I mean, as awkward as it might be, going on a date with your best friend, I want someone to distract me from Reece, right? Adam could be the perfect person.

"You know what? Yeah. Let's do this." I hold my hand out, watching the wide smile form on Adam's face, and he doesn't hesitate in grabbing it, our hands slotting together perfectly.

***

The evening had gone down pretty amazingly. As in the fact that Adam had brought me to a beautiful seaside restaurant and we ate watching the sunset, the food beautiful as well. The only real issue was the lack of spark. We could both feel it, we could both feel the lingering awkwardness from our previous friendship, but then at the same time we still tried our hardest to ignore it; we both wanted things to work out so badly. We slowly approached the school gates, the looming feeling of a goodbye approaching, when Adam finally spoke up again, breaking the silence that had begun to form.

"I'll- uh- walk you to your room." There's a slight undertone of nerves that laces his tone, and makes me feel questionable towards his plans.

He isn't going to kiss me on the first date... is he?