four

Westbrook, Morgan

"You grind... if not for yourself— than for the angel you brought into this world."

"Ry!" I yelled through my house from the kitchen.

"Ma'am?!" She yelled back from her room.

I yelled back. "Come here for a sec!"

Her footsteps came my way softly before she opened the door and peered in. "Ma'am?"

"Try this for me

"Try this for me." I held out the plate.

Her eyes widened in excitement as she took it from me and tried the fried pork chops and macaroni. "Yooo. Momma, it gets better every time."

"Catering better?" I questioned as I tried my plate of it.

She nodded as she sat her phone on the marble counter. "Yeah, I don't know why you won't put this on the menu at the restaurant."

I owned a restaurant. It was called Ry's. Sitting in a two story space in the center of Vegas, the building and the establishment was under my daughters name and willed to her if something ever happens to me, Lord forbid. My main objective is this little girl and making sure that she's well off even if I'm not.

"I'll think about it." I replied back as she sat down on a barstool and continued eating. "So... mommy met someone."

Janet and I had spent hours at the park, laughing and talking. Something told me she was more than some fling. I wanted her to be in my life, permanently, if I could make it happen.

Rylie looked up at me. "Ew. No."

"Come on Ry, you haven't even met her yet."

"I'm kidding. I'm kidding." She giggled. "So you and the lady are dating?"

"Not yet, but I want it to be serious. So I'm letting you know ahead of time."

My daughter shook her head. "Nope, I need to meet her first. You haven't said you wanted to get serious since I was 8. I need to meet this lady. What's her name?"

"Janet."

"That's a pretty name. Janet and Morgan. Morgan and Janet. Manet. Jorgan. Jangan. Monet."

"Little girl, what are you doing?" I asked as I laughed at her being deep in thought.

"Putting you twos names together. None of them are tangy enough. Just stick to JM." She suggested as she kept eating. Her phone began ringing. I looked and noticed it was her father, she hit decline and I sighed.

"Rylie Elizabeth, you cant keep ignoring him." She put her head down as she kept eating. I began washing the pots I had used as I continued. "I know this is his fourth time bailing on you, and if I could knock him upside his head myself, I would." When I looked back at her, I saw that she was staring solely at her food and was now only playing around with it. "He's missing out on a amazing little girl. You know that right?"

She nodded as she mumbled. "Yes ma'am."

Taking my hands from the dishes, I rinsed them and turned my water off as I walked over to her. "I'm serious Ry. I know he doesn't come around a lot, but Elan has never been a man of his word unfortunately."

"Why doesn't he wanna spend time with me though momma? He always says he's coming and he never does. I just— I just hate him."

My hand reached under my daughters chin and tilted it up towards me. "No ma'am. We do not hate, you hear me? He's falling short, and Princess I promised myself I would always stand up taller when your father fell short but it's some things I can't help. I'll talk to him about it, but you do not spend your time and energy hating that man. Understood?"

She nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"Alright, now eat up." I turned back and walked around my island as I went back to washing dishes.

"Can I meet Miss Janet today?" She asked suddenly which caused me to turn and look at her.

"You want to?" I questioned as I rinsed out the last pot and put it in the drainage.

Rylie nodded again as she ate. "Yeah. If she can come."

"Let me text her." Drying my hands, I grabbed my phone and texted J.

Daddy Ink  💦
Little bit wants to meet you, you free today?
Wait, are you cool with meeting her?

She didn't begin texting me back immediately like she usually does, so I locked my phone and sat it on the counter until she did. Turning back to Rylie, I mumbled. "How's your nose coming along?"

"It doesn't hurt as much anymore. I've been cleaning it with the solution you brought me."

Rylie and I had made a bet, if she pulled all A's her freshman year in high school then she could get the nose ring she'd been begging for. She pulled it off, and I stuck to my word and let her get it pierced. My phone vibrated and I picked it up.

Lil Mama 😍
Of course I wanna meet her! I actually just finished with my last house so now I'm free. Name a place and I'm there.

Daddy Ink  💦
We at the crib. 1265 Country Club Drive.

"Janet's on the way." I told Rylie and when I turned around the only thing there was her plate and the sound of swinging from the door. Chuckling, I picked her plate up and raked it clean before washing it.

Once I finished, I went and changed into something presentable. The door bell rung and I walked to the door. Rylie was standing near it and I asked. "Why'd you change?"

My daughter smirked at me. "The same reason you did."

Rolling my eyes at her, I opened the door and smiled. "Hey."

She smiled back

She smiled back. "Hey Morgan."

"You don't have any shirts that cover your stomach huh?" I teased.

Janet chuckled. "Not when I'm coming around you, no."

I moved to the side and allowed her to come in. "Well come in, my daughter—." I trailed when I saw Rylie wasn't where she was before the door opened. "Well Rylie must want a personal entrance. Don't mind her."

"Oh no. It's fine it's fine. I have nowhere else I'd rather be."