nine

Jackson, Janet

"What would we do without good friends?"

"Chinos?" Jennifer asked me suspiciously as we sat down in the restaurant. "Alright, what can I do for you friend? Cause I know your ass wants something if you brought me to the place you hate."

Jen and I had been friends since my second week in Vegas. I had sold her a condo up west and we'd just been hanging out ever since. We'd built a bond and she was my only friend out here that I considered family.

"I need a favor

"I need a favor."

"No."

"You haven't eve—."

"Nope."

"Jennifer.."

"Nah."

"Jen—."

"Hell no."

I squinted at her and it caused her to laugh. "Are you done?"

She nodded as she sipped on her tea. "Go ahead. I'm done being childish. What's up?"

"You can handle custody cases, yes?"

"Yeah, that's my area of practice. Why? You not pregnant, huh?"

"Girl no. With whose baby?" I asked her.

"Rene's." She muttered.

I sent her a look. "Hoe, don't play with me. No. Never."

"Well who needs a custody case?" She asked me as she picked her menu up and began browsing.

"So I met someone..." Jen put her menu down flat and looked at me with eager eyes. "It's a woman, her names Morgan."

"A woman? Ou, okay, continue. How'd you two meet?"

"So the day everything happened with me and Rene and I came over to your place at like 4 in the morning, well, I went to a bar before I came to your place and this dude was being a real asshole. We got into it and he followed me outside and we basically got into a altercation."

"Altercation like how?" She lifted a eyebrow.

"He pushed me on the ground. So I was about to get up and we would have just fought but before I could a woman yelled and told the man to leave me alone. He listened and she stuck her hand out and helped me up. It was Morgan."

Jen nodded. "Ou, so you two swapped numbers?"

"No. It wasn't that type of introduction, I walked away after thanking her and like two days later we ran into each other in the gas station and she was just so damn determined on getting my number. I gave in after a while and it's just went from there."

"Aw. That's so cute. I'm happy for you Jan."

"Thanks, but that's not the point."

"Oh, I forgot you needed something, okay so Morgan has a child I'm guessing?" Jennifer pieced it together.

"Yeah. She does. Her names Rylie."

"How old is she?"

"14. She'll be 15 soon though." We paused as a waiter came over and took Jen's order. When he asked for mines, I passed. "Oh no thanks, I already ate."

The man nodded and walked away as Jen laughed. "Yo ass ain't eat. I don't know why you brought me here trying to butter me up but okay if she's 14, what's the problem?"

"They put her with her father. Whose been making her sell drugs. She isn't even the same little girl."

"And what made Morgan unfit?"

"She has a record."

"What's the offense?"

I shrugged. "I'm not too sure but she's a damn good mother Jennifer. I've seen how different Rylie is when she's around Morgan. That man should not have custody rights." I frowned deeply.

Jennifer took a breath. "Tried getting the father to just sign off his rights?"

"He probably won't do that."

"Well, if all else fails, request a new custody hearing case. I'll keep my ear to the wind so I can pick it up, but I'm not favoriting the lady because she's your girlfriend Janet. If she doesn't seem fit either, I'm sending the child elsewhere. And if I don't get the case, then tell the child that she's old enough to speak on where she wants to live. She has rights as well as the parents."

"So that's all we have to do?"

"We?" Jen smirked.

"You know what I meant."

"You meant to say we," She pointed out before continuing. "But yeah, that's it. As long as you have a sympathetic judge you'll be fine. Get the child to talk and she should be home free. Every judge tries to sympathize with the children, especially if they have good reasons on why they want to be in the other parents home."

I nodded. "Okay. Okay. So it's fixable."

"Everything is fixable my dear." The man came back with Jennifer's food and she spoke politely. "Can I get a to go container and the check please."

"Yes ma'am. Together or separate?"

"Together." I replied as I smiled softly at the man. "I owe her lunch."

He nodded and disappeared again. Jen chuckled. "Buying me my dinner? See, I knew it was a reason I wanted to be your friend."

The man came back quicker this time. With the check and the to go container. He handed Jen one thing and me the other as I handed it right back with a 50. "Keep the change."

He smiled. "Yes ma'am. Thank you so much."

Jennifer smiled as he walked away. "Aw, look at you. Giving gratuity. She must have you happy."

I sighed softly as Jen began putting her food in the pale white container. "Something like that."

Morgan and I hadn't really discussed anything pertaining to us since that kiss in the kitchen. I don't think it needed to be discussed. We both seemed to be okay with how things were going at the moment.

"Ready?" Jen asked as she closed her container. I nodded and we got up from the table and walked out of the small restaurant. "Thank you Jen, seriously. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Oh girl please, you do for me just as much as I do for you. No need to thank me. Be careful going home. Drive safe." We hugged briefly before departing and Jen continued. "Oh, and I would love to meet this Morgan woman that has you whipped."

I turned around. "I am not whipped. Bye Jennifer."

When we got to our cars, I heard motorcycle engines heading our way. My eyes shot up when they shot by me and I immediately spotted Morgan leading the pack.

She told me she'd be at the house tonight. I shook my head as I unlocked my car and got inside. Instead of heading home, I headed to Morgan's. I had questions, and well, she'd just have to deliver me some answers.