twenty

Evans, Rylie

"Bonding? I'm down for it."

Laci and I were walking towards my car after school when someone yelled. "Yo Rylie!"

When I turned around, I saw this girl named Taylor coming up to me with her brother Tatum. Taylor smiled when they caught up to me. "Hey Rylie, I was wondering if we could talk for a bit."

I shrugged. "Sure. What's up?"

Out the corner of my eye, I noticed Tatum and Laci step to the side and mentally reminded myself to tease her later about it. Taylor mumbled. "I was wondering if maybe this weekend we could go to the arcade... if you want to. No pressure."

Was she asking me out?

My face furrowed a bit before I replied. "Taylor, are you asking me out?"

She met eye contact with me before nodding. "Yeah. I mean if you want me to. If not then that's cool."

"Well Laci just moved out here and I'm trying to get her adjusted to Vegas and how we do things out here. I don't wanna leave her this weekend by herself. Maybe—."

"My brother has fifth block with Kalacia. He said they hit it off. He actually was gonna ask her out too. Maybe we could do like a double date or something. I don't wanna exclude her or anything. I just want the chance to hang out with you."

"And since when are you gay?"

Taylor chuckled. "Rylie, I've been dating females since the tenth damn grade. I came out the closet a long ass time ago. How did you not know this?"

"I don't be in folks business girl." I answered. "Let me see what Laci on, and then I'll hit you up later but my answers yes. We just might have to adjust the plans."

"Alright. I can take that, since your answers yes." She smiled softly again before walking off. She stopped and mumbled. "I'll text you? Yeah. I'll text you."

"Bet." I called back as I turned back to get in the car. Getting in, I saw that Kalacia and Tatum were hugging and let go as Laci gave Tatum his phone back.

He came over and opened her car door for her as she got in. I side eyed them, they were gonna be a cute couple if this worked out. She smiled at him. "Thanks Tate."

"No problem. I'll text you in a few, so we can get the date together. Cool?"

She nodded. "Cool."

Tatum smiled. "Alright beautiful. I'll see you soon. Bye Rylie."

"Bye Tatum." I nodded him off as he closed Rylie's door and walked away.

Looking at Rylie, I started the car and she chuckled as she side eyed me. "Don't do that."

"Mhm. I see you."

"Oh it's nothing yet. Don't jinx it. Wait— he's cool people right?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "He plays football and shit. His mom real strict and any time she don't like a girl, she make him break up with her. It's been working in his favor though because half the time the girls are trynna use him cause bro is going pro."

"That's still no reason to use him though."

Shrugging, I put the car in reverse and backed up. "That don't matter to these hoes. They see a check and they gone want it." 

"That's fucked up though." She mumbled softly.

I glanced at her as I put the car in drive and drove out of the parking lot of our school. "You honestly think so?"

"Yes. You don't?"

"Nah, I do. It's just good that you're down to Earth." I nodded to myself. "You might actually pass the test."

"What test?"

"Nothing. You'll know if you pass or fail it sooner than later."

She made a face. "Okay?"

"We finna get something to eat?" I changed topic since I didn't eat lunch.

"I'm down. Let's go to In and Out."

"You eat that shit everyday."

Laci pushed my shoulder as she laughed. "So? Ma don't be cooking like talking about it and it's not like I can be getting five star meals every damn day."

I laughed. "Whatever, I eat leftovers too. So don't get popped. Imma take yo short ass to In and Out, only cause I want some fries from there."

"Bet." She stuck her tongue out as her phone buzzed.

"Oop. Yo mans texting already?"

"Shut up." She mumbled as she smiled hard and texted back before putting her phone down and speaking to me. "Think about when our moms move in together and get married and shit. Us in the same house gone be dope."

"Think about all them blunts in rotation dude." I replied causing her to hit me. "Ow! Damn, I was just saying, but it's gone be dope for sure."

"Think they gone make it to marriage? No offense but I don't know your mom like that... but I know how fragile Ma is and your mom don't seem to be keen to fragile."

My face furrowed as I thought about it before replying as I stopped at a red light. I turned my turn signal on as I waited for it to turn green. "Our mothers are ying and yang kinda. I think it'll work out just fine. They have mad love for each other. That's obvious, plus, if it doesn't work out we still gone be close."

"True."

A motorcycle pulled up next to us and I glanced over and then back at the road until I realized it was my mom. We both looked at each other as Laci put down her window. She waved at Janet and my mom. "Hey!"

They waved back as my mom asked me. "How was school?!"

She had to yell over the loud engine and I did too. "It was fine!"

"What about you Kalacia?" Janet asked her.

Laci sent her a thumbs up as my mom asked. "Where you two heading?! The house is this way!"

"We're going eat!" Laci yelled back as she asked. "You two want something?!"

"We already ate!" Janet yelled back.

Kalacia and I looked at each other as our eyebrows raised. We both looked at our mothers before putting the window up. They started laughing at us but we were dead serious. How you eat without us? We're the kids!

The light turned green and I turned in the lane I was in as our mothers kept straight. Laci muttered. "They getting ignored for at least a hour."

"And we know this!" I agreed as I continued driving.