twelve

Westbrook, Morgan

"Some things are beyond your control."

It had been four weeks since Janet and I actually saw each other face to face

It had been four weeks since Janet and I actually saw each other face to face. Our responsibilities kept us busier than usual lately and plus we weren't official so it wasn't like we had a tie to each other that deep yet.

Still, today was going to end that streak. Janet was coming over and bringing her niece who she talks about all the time. I was excited to say the least.

"What's in this pasta ma?" Rylie's voice came from the door frame of the kitchen.

"Shrimp, crab meat, crawfish meat, and chicken." I replied as I turned around and took in her appearance. "You look cute."

"Thanks

"Thanks. So do you."

"I tried."

"I thought you and Miss Janet had broken up."

I raised a eyebrow. "What made you think that?"

"I hadn't seen her in a while. Just assumed knowing you."

Rolling my eyes, I chuckled. "Whatever. We just have been busy. She's bringing her niece by today, be nice Rylie. She's new to Nevada and she needs a friend not a foe."

"I'll be nice mom. I'm always nice." She smiled softly.

I smiled back. "Thank you."

"I want to paint my room, maybe..." She trailed. "I don't know. I want something darker. Maybe black."

"You want to... Ry, that's such a dark color."

She had been getting darker here lately. What her father had put into her in the short spell of time he'd had her... I'd never truly know because my daughter rarely opened up to me about it. I'd won the custody case two weeks back and since then I've just been trying to keep her afloat.

She sighed. "Mom, can you please just think about it though?"

"Sure. I'll think about it... after you open up to me about what happened with your father." I turned away from my pots completely and faced my child.