seven

Jackson, Janet

"Even when you try to ignore it, it will always find a way back to you."

"So this home has four beds, three and a half baths. You have a full kitchen, with a day room and a dining room. The living room connects with the foyer and downstairs in the basement is a game room, movie theater and a spare section to use as you please." I explained the home to my clients.

They nodded as the wife asked. "So the schools around here, are they any good?"

The couple had moved from Mississippi and this was the fifth home I had shown them. They wanted what they wanted, and I couldn't blame them for that.

"I did some looking into that, and it actually does. The middle school and high school is over average and well in the green with their test scores."

The husband smiled. "I think this is it."

"I agree. You found it for us Janet." The wife hugged me briefly before smiling as well. "How much are they wanting?"

"Originally, 760." Their smiles dropped as I opened my binder. "I talked them down to 680. Is that alright?"

They shared eye contact before the husband nodded. "We can pull it. It's better than 700, it's a little bit over our range but I'd be a fool to let this walk. Mind if we have a look around?"

"Go for it." I replied as they began walking throughout the house. My phone rang and I walked outside to answer it. I stopped when I looked up and towards the park across the streets.

Children were playing, that was normal, what wasn't normal was Rylie surrounded by teens. She looked different. Wasn't smiling at all. The girl had a whole different aura than the one I was first met with.

This was far from her neighborhood

This was far from her neighborhood. She was wearing a black hoodie and some jeans. I watched as one boy gave her money and she put it in her pocket before giving him something out of her bag quickly. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that it was drugs.

I walked across the street and up to the group. "Hey." When they noticed I had walked up on them they tried to run, including Rylie. My hands caught on to her hoodie as I held her back. "Nu uh. Not so fast. Where'd you think you were going?"

She looked at me and gave a confused glance. "Oh! Miss Janet. Nice to see you. I didn't even notice it was you. You look pretty today. What brings you to the park?"

"You. Let's go Rylie." Her face dropped into one of guilt as we crossed the street and I unlocked my car. Opening the passenger side, I spoke. "I'll be back, don't leave this vehicle Rylie. We are gonna talk about this."

She nodded softly as I handed her the keys so she could start the car. I closed the door after her and made my way back inside the house. The couple were standing smiling and spoke as I walked back in. "Well, like we said, we will take it."

"Alright, I'll get in touch with the owners and let them know we have a deal."

"Great." The wife nodded. "Well, we will keep in touch. We have to get going now though. Thanks again, Janet, we know we were running you crazy about this house situation."

"Oh it's fine. It isn't a problem." I replied as we all shook hands and they made their way out the door. I followed behind and let the front door shut behind me.

Making my way back to the car, I got in and saw that Rylie was just sitting and staring at the dash board.

She glanced at me suddenly. "You gone snitch to my moms, huh?"

"Whatcha selling? Weed?" I changed topics as to the contents of what was in her backpack. Weed would be jail time but not a lot since it had been legalized recently out here. Still, she was selling to kids.

Rylie shrugged. "Does it matter?"

"You're right. It doesn't. What the hell are you thinking?"

"It's just a side hustle. Folks around here buy high and I come with the demands." She boasted almost. My hand reached over and grabbed her backpack much to her dismay. "Hey! Give me my stuff!"

"Move Rylie." I moved her hands away from me and opened the bag. I shook my head when I saw the white substance. "You're selling kids crack?"

"It's Angel Dust." She corrected me as if it made it any better.

"PCP? You're selling this shit and you are how old?" I asked in disbelief. "Oh I know Morgan doesn't know about this. If she did she'd have a damn fit. What the hell are you doing Rylie? Do you know what would happen if you got caught?"

I watched as she rolled her eyes. "I go to jail. It's obvious consequences to actions. I'm aware."

"Do you hear yourself? I know Morgan raised you better than this—."

"She ain't got nothing to do with this aight?! I gotta sell it or else my dad said he gone hurt her."

My face furrowed. "Wait huh?"

"My dad, Janet." She repeated. "The court took me from my mom. I only get to see her on weekends."

"Why? Why would they do that?"

Morgan and I hadn't spoke in weeks. After that whole show in Vegas, I'd rather pass on that ship. Still, I didn't even know that she had to go to court, let alone was dealing with her exes drama.

"Something about a previous offense. The courts said my dad was more fit but he isn't. He told me if I don't sale his drugs then he was gone hurt my momma. So I been selling the stuff. He drops me off somewhere and he told me to get a ride back home and if I come home and my drugs ain't gone then I can kiss my mom goodbye." She had began crying and I took a deep breath before putting my seatbelt on and backed out of the driveway.

"Where we going?" Rylie asked me but I remained silent. She asked again after a while of driving. "Where you taking me, Miss Janet?"

"To your momma, child." I responded finally as I got on the highway and headed to Morgan's. She needed to know that her child wasn't in the best hands after all.