14

14
<--->

hyunjin's eyes almost popped out of his sockets. "y-y-you wh-what? i'm sorry, areum, but i only like you as a friend and i don't want to ruin our friendship by dating already because, wow, i did not know you liked me because this is so weird now, but then again i think that can happen as well since we're both-"

"hyunjin," areum snapped in irritation. "i. don't. freaking. like. you." she almost face palmed if it weren't for how confused hyunjin looked. adorable too. "hyunjin, i don't mean it in that kind of way. just know that i care a whole lot about you, and you can come to me with anything."

hyunjin frowned a little. "no, i should be the one saying that. but really, what do you mean by that? thinking about me? what?"

areum smiled nervously. sometimes there are things that will need to be kept away to keep the other person you care about safe, but at the same time you don't want to hurt them if they find out the truth.

she bit her bottom lip as a trouble expression lingered on her face, staring at him with nervousness in her eyes. hyunjin stared back at her, studying what her eyes could tell him, but he didn't know. he couldn't know. it was horrible he was so clueless about everything.

"just...." areum paused. "just nothing. let's go back, okay?" there was something she was hiding, and it was frustrating to not know what it was that kept troubling her.

"if you don't tell me then i'll kiss you right now," hyunjin blurted out randomly when he saw her put her back towards him. he bit down his tongue, mentally scolding himself at how stupid he sounded. hyunjin was internally crying inside, and his heart was racing faster than a race car. why did he say that?

areum almost bursted out laughing, but she kept her amusement inside. although her heart was racing at the unexpected comeback, she stopped herself from thinking about what he said to her.

"you'll what? kiss me? hyunjin, seriously. you'd go that far to know the truth?" by then areum turned around to face him with a stern look on her face. it also hurts her to hide the truth away from him. "come on, dude. you can't be like this."

hyunjin didn't know why, but he took small steps forward towards her as areum continued to ramble on and on. he didn't know why, but he found himself stuck in a trance seeing her exploding her frustrations at him. he didn't know why, but his eyes never left her lips.

no no hyunjin no.

"hyunjin, you really want to know the truth?" areum looked at him with sad eyes, not noticing the small distance between them. she was too caught up in her emotions, but he was just there to see her look vulnerable to comfort her.

hyunjin slowly nodded his head. areum smiled a little as her eyes softened. "forget about maci. you need someone better."

although hyunjin's heart faltered for a moment, he composed himself very well. "someone better? like who? you?"

"now's not the time, hyunjin. i'm serious. maci is just playing with your feelings. i know this sounds stupid, but believe me, okay? you need someone better than her," areum pleaded with a bit of desperation in her voice.

"h-how do you know?" hyunjin stuttered a little. "how do you know that maci is playing with my feelings? what if she's just trying to find her own feelings for me? what if she's not playing with me? ever thought of that?"