18

18
<--->

"hyunjin.. i.." areum was speechless. had he not take her warning as a sign that maci wasn't good for him? she wanted to push him away and slap him for not understanding what he was putting himself into, but there was hope inside of her that screamed at her to trust him.

"it's shocking, right?" hyunjin grinned, dreaming back to when he confessed his feelings for maci. he didn't notice the sad look she gave him as he was too in love.

seungmin grimaced, he knew what was coming, but he wasn't prepared even though he thought he was. looking at areum's back, he knew she was very upset. the way her shoulders lowered and how her fingers trembled a little, it was good proof she was easily shocked and genuinely numb.

"i'm.." areum tried to smile to push the mixed emotions felt inside of her away. "-happy for you, hyunjin. i really am." but deep inside her heart was tearing into pieces. her deepest emotions she tried not to show were slowly revealing one by one even though she tried to cover them up with forced smiles.

hyunjin pulled her into a hug, crushing her small frame. "i'm happy too." she could hear the smile in his voice without looking at him. if hyunjin was happy, why was she so worried?

areum sucked in a breath. she trusts hyunjin, but she doesn't trust maci.

"so when did you two start dating?" areum managed to ask. surely it must've happened over the five days the two didn't talk. they were reunited again and she should feel glad about it, but somehow she couldn't after what he told her.

he thought for a couple of seconds. "hmm... around two days ago. i wanted to meet up with her, and she finally responded back to me after ignoring me for a week. things have changed so much."

areum couldn't help but sigh to herself a little. she blamed herself for not talking some more sense into hyunjin. if only she was more brave enough to admit the truth to his face and break his heart, but she didn't want to do that.

"that's good, just remember what i said to you before, okay?" areum gave him a tiny smile. one that was convincing enough to pass as a worried friend smile. "maci... is well you know maci. her father can do anything he wants in just a snap so don't mess things up. maci is a snake, i've mentioned that before."

hyunjin chuckled. "don't worry, i got everything under control. maci trusts me, and i trust her."

seungmin scoffed. "why did it take you two days to forgive maci and trust her while it took me a whole year and seven hours for you to trust me?"

"oh, don't be salty, seungmin," hyunjin teased as the younger one continued to whine with a glint in his eyes. "feel lucky i'm best friends with you for a long time and that you will forever have my trust."

seungmin proudly grinned as he walked over. swinging an arm around both of the two's shoulders, he let out a small amused laugh. "good. but promise to forever trust me even if things go bad?"

he held out his pinky finger, wiggling it a little as he patiently waited for hyunjin to lock his pinky with his. hyunjin sighed like he was done with seungmin's acts, but he wrapped his pinky around seungmin's and smiled cheerfully.

"i promise to forever trust you," he said, and since he didn't want to make areum feel left out, he linked his with hers too. "and i will forever trust you as well."