49

49
<--->

"y-you like me?" areum furrowed her eyebrows. she looked at hyunjin, feeling her heart race at how intently he was staring at her. "as in like me as in a different way and not in a friendly way?"

hyunjin nodded his head, lowering his gaze. he expected some reaction out of her and he was more than disappointed. "yeah, you don't feel the same way though. i know you probably like seungmin or felix. they're much better than i am. seungmin is caring, and he seems right for you. felix is an angel, and he won't hurt anyone even if they're mean to him. you would rather have them like you instead of me right-"

"-no, hyunjin, you're perfect," areum mumbled. her eyes softened and she gently smiled at him in fondness. "it took you forever to notice your feelings towards me."

it was hyunjin's turn to grow confused, and he looked at her with his lips parted in awe. "wh-what?"

areum laughed it off, brushing her hands on his shoulders. "you told me in your sleep that you liked me when we were at sowon's vacation house. i don't think you remembered though because you were deep asleep."

"wait, what?" hyunjin's cheeks turned bright red, but he couldn't hide how flustered he was. "i-i did? are you dead serious?"

areum bit her bottom lip. "i was just playing with you. no, you didn't tell me in your sleep. i kind of figured it out when i overheard your conversation with chan." hyunjin's eyes grew wide in bewilderment and areum quickly raise her hands up in front of her, defending herself. "i didn't hear that much!"

"what part did you hear?" hyunjin warily eyed her, feeling exposed. he pouted a little. "damn it. i wanted it to be special when i confessed my feelings for you..."

areum laughed and shook her head. "don't worry, hyunjin. your confession was very special. to me at least, but it seems like you don't think so."

hyunjin smiled in relief. "okay, it's special. but you didn't answer my confession. i know i said i was willing to take it slow, but i need to know if you like me back at least. please, if you're going to reject me, do it nicely. i've dealt with enough heartbreak for a while now."

it didn't take long for areum to come up with her answer. for the past few weeks, she's been trying hard to figure out her own feelings for hyunjin. although she kept silent about it as she didn't want to ruin her friendship with hyunjin. it may have been too awkward if hyunjin didn't return the feelings back to her.

nodding her head, areum threw her arms around hyunjin happily. "i like you too, silly."

<--->

the next day went well. at least that's what areum and hyunjin thought. the two tried to be secretive about their feelings toward one another in front of their other friends because they were waiting for a great timing to break it to everyone else.

walking to school together, areum playfully poked hyunjin's arms as soft chuckles left her lips. hyunjin scrunched his nose up at her, and he felt a warmth spread across his chest. areum never failed to make him smile.

while the two were walking, sowon carefully studied them from behind. she had been silent as she didn't want to disturb the two. after they came back from their small break, she felt as if her two friends were closer than before and that they were leaving her out. although she thought otherwise and convinced herself that they were probably not used to having her around yet.

but she couldn't stop the emptiness in her heart. she wished they would notice her too.

as sowon was about to walk forward, someone's arm draped around her small shoulders. flinching as she felt someone's hot breath fanning the side of her neck, sowon merely turned her head to look at whoever it was.