29

29
<--->

"mr. hwang, i don't see your arms up in the air," areum said, snorting when she saw him put his arms at his side. tiredly, hyunjin let out a sigh and sat down on the floor. it has been at least ten minutes since the two got caught for talking in the middle of class, and they weren't having any of it. both didn't care they were missing out on class, but they were tired of raising their arms in the air.

"if mrs. kim comes out to check us and see that your arms aren't in the air then you'll be in big trouble," areum continues, the quiet hallways made it easier for the two to hear each other better.

hyunjin laughs, dismissing her. "ms. kwon, for your information, if i get detention, i don't care." she didn't reply back and kept her arms stubbornly in the air. the quiet atmosphere around the two was comfortable. being friends for more than ten years was able to make them understand each other more.

hyunjin smiled sadly at the thought of missing their old memories. they were having fun at that time not knowing they were making memories. here he was in thought about his childhood, but there was always that presence of uncertainty that bothered him. whenever he reminisced his memories, there was something that felt missing, but he couldn't put his mind on it.

he took a peek at areum to see her staring out in the distance. hyunjin has never admired areum closely before nor thought that she was pretty, but with the distant light from the sun that was shining through the windows from the classrooms bouncing on her soft features, he felt his breath get stuck in his throat.

then there was this other time he recalled when he kept staring at her lips for unknown reasons. thinking back now, he was embarrassed and his cheeks turned a crimson red. why would he stare at her lips? areum was his best friend, nothing more, and he had maci, his girlfriend. he didn't have any feelings for his best friend.

but hyunjin couldn't stop staring at areum. the way she looked so innocently dazed as she stared at nothing. her black hair that was swept behind her ears made her stand out and her eyes. in the sunlight her brown eyes stood out more, and he made sure to keep note in his mind to capture the moments when her eyes would be near the sunlight.

without even knowing, he found himself crawling closer to her. his small movements were completely unnoticeable by her as areum was busy in thought like he was before. finding a strand of her black hair that was separated from the rest, hyunjin reached his hand out to brush it away.

areum flinched as she felt his hand accidentally brush against her cheek, momentarily blinking before turning her head to meet his eyes that were glancing down at her. something in hyunjin's eyes screamed 'soft' as he smiled his eye smile at her. the pink tint in his cheeks were more noticeable now as he was caught in the moment of staring at her.

"you had a piece of hair stuck out," he coughed, looking away to avoid her curious eyes. god, hyunjin, what the hell were you thinking? he couldn't but to say it in his mind.

areum wanted to make sure she did, but she remembered she had her arms up in the air so she struggled to not beg hyunjin to fix her hair, but she did it anyway with the option of no choice. "can you fix it then? my arms are in the air and your arms are not."

hyunjin felt something kick in his heart. no, it was not a baby, don't even think that. anyway, he nodded his head and turned back to her. instead of fixing her hair, hyunjin grabbed a hold of her hands that were in the air and locked his fingers with hers. slowly, he pulled them down to her side and chuckled softly.

"you idiot, why would you follow whatever mrs. kim says?" hyunjin muttered, shaking his head as he couldn't stop laughing at her. areum frowned, about to cross her arms over her chest, but she couldn't as he was still holding her hands so she sighed instead.

"boi, shut up," she hissed, glaring at him. "i like peace and my peace brings me peace. so following mrs. kim's rules will give me peace. and i don't want to get stuck after school cleaning the bathrooms or anything disgusting." scrunching up her nose, areum imagined herself cleaning the bathrooms with dirty feces surrounding her feet. she shuddered.

hyunjin grinned at her. "i didn't ask, but okay. you follow the rules too much."

she furrowed her brows. "is that a problem?"

he laughed some more, letting go one of her hands to flick her forehead. "no. i'm just telling you to loosen up a while." it was hilarious as areum whined, clutching her forehead from the impact of his fingers that were on her forehead a few seconds ago.

"ow! that hurt!" she exclaimed, closing her eyes shut tightly before prying them open again. "i hate you."

"no," hyunjin giggled. "you love me."

right at that moment the doors from mrs. kim's room opened. there stood a confused and shocked kim sowon. she tensed up at the sight of the two, finding herself shake again as she exhaled out a shaky breath.

"a-areum? hy-hyunjin?" sowon whispered, confusing the two. from the looks of their faces, sowon could tell they didn't know who she was and it hurt her to see them not know who she was. gulping a little, she closed the door behind her and smiled gently at them. "it's me. kim sowon. your childhood friend."

there was a short silence between the three before areum quickly got up to her feet. she pulled hyunjin with her and glanced at sowon suspiciously. "i'm sorry what?"

sowon tried to hold back the tears that were beginning to form in her eyes. she chuckled sheepishly and wiped them away with the back of her hands. "ah, sorry. excuse me." bowing to them in embarrassment, sowon left them as she hastily rushed down the halls.

areum called out to her, "wait!" but the figure of the new student disappeared before her eyes and the name sowon caused an alarm to blare through her mind. areum grabbed her head, shutting her eyes closed tightly again. "argh! my head hurts!"

hyunjin worriedly gazed down at her, checking on her to see that she was close to crying. "what's wrong, areum? don't cry. why are you crying?"

areum spoke out softly, her sobs hidden behind her painful voice, "i don't know.. my head just hurts... a lot. i don't know what's happening to me."

"let's get you to the infirmary," hyunjin told her, holding her in his embrace to assure her that he was there for her. "come on. don't make me carry you if you don't walk." as the two made their way to the infirmary, sowon who was just creeping around the corner found them walking away together.

her heart clenched in pain as she held back the tears that were threatening to spill. her friends couldn't remember her and that was more painful than anything. she was starting to regret her choice of coming back, but deep inside her heart she knew to stay.

she was determined to get them to remember her before she had to leave again.

author's note
i was listening to 5sos' ghost of you while writing this so idk where this took me

have a great day! :D