36

36
<--->

memories are different. each and every one hold a special place in another's heart. maybe it could be a fun time where you have the people you love with you, or maybe it's an emotional event that happened out of nowhere.

you see, you can't control memories just like how you can't control another person's thought or feelings.

you can't control something that has already happened, either good, which brings you happiness, or either bad, which can bring you regret.

and like me, kim sowon. i have my regrets. i couldn't control their memories. it was a painful experience for me to know they don't remember me.

am i nothing to them? i was completely forgotten. shut out of their lives and gone. i came back.

and i'm not ready to leave yet.

<--->

"there was an accident," sowon slowly told them as she sat back in the bench, trying to let her nerves calm down. it was better to cut to the chase than explain everything to them one bit.

sowon didn't have that much time left, and she knew. areum and hyunjin quietly sat next to each other, watching her eyes sadden and tears brimmed her eyes. areum worriedly grabbed a hold of sowon's hand, smiling in reassurance at the girl.

"take your time," she told her, making hyunjin nod his head at areum's words.

sowon grinned a little. then she went back to her story. "it was probably around the afternoon when the accident happened. areum, hyunjin," she took a breath in. "you both were there with me. my cousin who was maci's boyfriend at the time was drunk driving and crashed while i was in the car with him."

areum's eyes widened in shock as hyunjin tensed up beside her at the mention of maci's name. he bit his bottom lip in guilt as he had not told areum about what happened at the night of maci's birthday party.

sowon continued on with bitterness in her heart. "i begged him not to drive and wanted to take over the car for him, but he was aggressive. he didn't want me to ruin his car. and then there was you and you," she pointed at areum and hyunjin. "you guys were walking towards each other in opposite directions when i grabbed my cousin's wheel to take control, but it caused us to spin on the streets and hitting both of you at the same time that happened. the car turned upside down after hitting a curb."

sowon gulped. she had prepared to tell them for a long time, and now that it was happening, she couldn't believe it.

she resumed after taking a small break, "my cousin unfortunately passed after he hit his head against the wheel with sharp glass cutting into his skull. it was a horrible sight, and i was thrown out of the car window and onto the cement road. areum, you were laying just a few feet away from me, bleeding, but you went to find hyunjin who was stuck under the car."

nervously, yet shocked, areum asked, "wh-why can i not remember any of this? i had a dream similar-"

"-because what i just told you wasn't a dream. it happened," sowon cut her off sharply, tears falling from her eyes. "it happened. the car crash and everything. your mothers hated me for it. they hated my mother too. i was blamed for it, and no one cared that my cousin was drunk driving. all they cared about was that i was the one who caused the crash to happen."

hyunjin said slowly, "i can't remember anything either. these small bits are hitting me and my brain hurts."

sowon shakily let out, "just wait. just wait. you both were in the hospital, and when you two woke up, you guys couldn't remember anything from the crash. everything revolving me in your memories was vanished. and i knew amnesia had taken control."

areum's eyes glistened in tears. she stared at sowon before pulling the girl into a hug. "i'm s-sorry for not remembering you."

hyunjin blinked, trying to look away to not cry. he didn't want to at this time, but he couldn't hold them in. still looking away, he placed his hand on areum's back in an attempt to let her know he was there.

"it's okay," sowon told her, "it's really okay. all i'm glad to know is that i can finally see you both again before i-" she stopped herself from talking, shaking her head a little and then gave her a strong smile. "i'm happy to have my two best friends back."

<--->

"there's nothing affecting me yet!" hyunjin yelled out when the boys tackled him to the bed, forcing him to lay down. it had been a wild couple of hours after the whole truth being told. areum still was shaken up about it, and there would be glimpses of memories with sowon slowly coming back to her.

sowon didn't leave areum alone. she stayed by areum's side in case anything bad was going to happen to her.

now everyone was worried about hyunjin because he might go through what areum went through. let's say they were well prepared for anything that was going to come later.

"well, if you shut your mouth and let us take good care of you, you'll be fine," jeongin hissed with sass, staring at hyunjin with a cold playful glare. hyunjin frowned, shaking his head.

"no!" he screamed when jisung grabbed a blanket and tried to put it over his body. "no!"

felix was trying hard not to break down in tears at the corner of the room. he had no idea if hyunjin hated him or not, and it was eating him up how he had no answers to his countless questions that ran through his head.

areum parted away from the group and walked to where felix was at. she sat down next to him, sliding down the wall as the boys began to raise their voices at each other childishly.

"why are you so far away from the others?" areum asked him quietly, watching as he played with his fingers. she grabbed his hands to stop him from shaking, staring into his eyes when he looked at her in surprise.

"nothing," he replied shortly, causing areum to frown a little. she was confused and was about to open her mouth when the door opened, revealing someone least expected to enter the room.

"mom?"

author's note
school ain't gonna stop me from updating.  and this is sad news but... this book is ending soon.

nah.