30

30
<--->

"how long has it been?" areum asked hyunjin who was sitting close to her, but he was on the small cushion instead. both had been in the infirmary for the last thirty minutes without any presence of the nurse as she had to run a small errand that took longer than they thought it would take.

hyunjin checked the clock ticking on the wall that was behind areum. "about thirty minutes." he had been confused with areum having a headache in the middle of the halls while they were still in trouble. however, he was closely watching over her in case her headache would cause her to black out. "how are you feeling?"

areum shrugged, "feels like i'm stuck in a box between a heavy heater and the sun with no escape." she immediately winced at that thought, finding it easy to relate to because she knew her headache wasn't disappearing soon.

"then i don't think it would be a great idea to attend maci's party tonight," hyunjin muttered to himself, but the girl heard him and sat up in the bed quickly. he flinched when she sharply glared at him, furrowing her brows.

"okay, i may hate maci, but what about that expensive gift you bought for her? the necklace? will it become a waste?" areum didn't understand hyunjin's sudden change of heart. he was excited, but why would he bail out now?

"maci and i are actually planning to hang out before her party, alone," hyunjin slowly said, making areum's face pale a little at that. "but her parents are going to be at the party. and remember when i said i wouldn't go if you or none of the others weren't going?" areum slightly nodded her head, making sure not to make it seem like her head was about to explode in any second.

"and maci's father hates me. like, he really does. i get shivers whenever he stares at me... and i just feel, unwanted, you know? maci doesn't even care that her father hates me, and she tries to tell me that he doesn't, but it's hard to believe her. i feel like i'm the only one in the relationship trying to make the bad things good."

areum turned silent at that, slowly digesting in hyunjin's information. she studied how his eyes would turn sad and the mischievous glint in his eyes disappeared. how his he would lick his lips, wetting them, and shaking his head a little. his expression screamed trouble. he was troubled, and he did not know what to do.

truthfully, areum's heart broke at the sight of her best friend being in love. love makes you do crazy things. she hadn't even gotten around to her and seungmin's plan yet because of the obstacles that were blocking their way. it was going to hurt hyunjin, and both knew what they were doing, but was it selfish for them to keep it away from hyunjin? it was to protect him, but now areum could only feel guilty for trying to prevent him from getting hurt.

"i.. i know maci is a person to not be messed with, and her father too," areum started, closing her eyes and opening them again to see hyunjin's devastated eyes before her. "but i don't know why it's hard to stop you from doing what you want. hyunjin, the decisions you make will affect you and maci's relationship. if i was you, i would go to her party and show her father what you're capable of. remember, we already had this conversation."

hyunjin frowned. "and i apologize, terribly sorry, that you have to deal with me. honestly, i'm trying to figure things out on my own because i was the one who got myself into this mess.. but if you say i should go to maci's party, then i'll go. for you though." areum smiled at that.

<--->

"i've heard you officially moved to this school," maci grinned at the slightly shaken up girl who avoided eye contact with her at all cost. "welcome."

the girl let out a shaky breath, trying to calm down. "maci, i'm tired of this. what do you want from me? money? i'm sorry, but i don't have any money to give you."

maci rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest as her back leaned against the wall before her. "oh, don't be dramatic. we both know you spent your money over hospital bills. you practically begged me to give you some of my money as well."

"i did not!" the girl snapped harshly, making the cheerleader purse her lips at that.

"alright, whatever. but tonight i'm throwing a party, and you're coming. make sure that you be friends with those two little brats, and be sure to inform me if he's coming. i have to make myself look presentable in front of him," maci gleamed at the thought about him. it had always been her wish to finally make him hers, but it was harder than she thought now that she was dating hyunjin.

"you already have a boyfriend," the girl hissed, finally looking up from the ground to glare at maci. "don't you know what it means to stay loyal?"

maci acted surprised, throwing herself away from the wall as she slowly clapped her hands. she began to circle the poor girl who was still trembling and chuckled. "loyal? sorry, but that word isn't in my dictionary. actually... i think it would be better if i kissed him in front of hyunjin, don't you think?"

"you're so terrible... hurting a precious friendship? for what? love? maci, i knew you were desperate, but i didn't know you were this desperate," the girl sarcastically smiled at her, making the cheerleader's blood boil in anger.

"i am desperate," maci grumbled, throwing daggers at her. "and no one is going to stop me. if i don't see you tonight, sowon, then prepare to say goodbye to the friends you're trying to protect. hyunjin and areum might as well forget that you're apart, oh wait, you were part of their lives. now leave, i don't need to stay here talking to you longer."

sowon grabbed her bag that was on the floor and grudgingly glared at maci. there was always hatred for the girl, and sowon had no clue on why she thought it was amazing to befriend her in the first place. thoughts swarmed around her head, and she only thought of areum and hyunjin. she couldn't be too late. she couldn't.

if she was, she would never be able to forgive herself again.

<--->

"my daughter is in a coma because of your daughter! do you not know how heartbroken i am?" she watched her mother get pushed in the shoulder, falling to the ground and hitting her palms on the hard floor. "she won't wake up soon! she won't!"

"i-i'm terribly sorry," her mother cried, tears falling from her eyes. "it was never her intention to put your daughter in such a state like this. please, please, don't blame it on her."

the anger she felt watching her mother get beaten up with words hurt her heart. like knives stabbed into her heart, but she couldn't move. she couldn't because of the bandages wrapped around her limbs and stomach. she was seated on the wheelchair, unable to move, and the only thing she could hear and see was her mother's cries.

"how can i not? my daughter, my beautiful daughter.."

she knew she was a disgrace, but she never knew why they hated her. she was always so patient with everything, but everyone thought different. she felt tears sting her eyes, and she was on the verge of crying. she wanted to shout and scream, but the only noises that left her mouth was frustrated grunts that was ignored by both women who bawled their eyes out.

only be sincerely sorry if it's your fault, she remembered her grandfather's words before his last death that roamed in her mind, and those around you will see that you're not perfect, and they will find themselves stuck in the same situation as well.

author's note
i'm finally on break : ) and kim sowon has finally made an appearance in this book *claps awkwardly*