3x21

Quote: "When you don't know what to think, when you don't know what to feel, when you don't know what to do, just be. Let the Divine seep in to fill the void."
-Dean Jackson

Published: May 20, 2019

|

Chapter 21: "The Fox and the Wolf"

"So," I break the silence between the Nogitsune and I as we walk through the high school. "Is there some other name I can call you by? Because honestly, Nogitsune is becoming too much to repeat over and over again."

It's quiet for a minute before he answers. "Void."

"Void? Seriously?" I question with a raised brow as we walk down the hall.

"You can continue to call me Nogitsune then."

"No, nope. Void sounds perfect."

"Good. Now, wait here." He tells me as we stop outside of Mr. Yukimura's classroom door.

"Why?"

"Wouldn't want anyone to know that you gave into the dark magic yet, do we?"

I simply nod and smirk as he walks into the classroom.

"Coming in on a Saturday. That's dedication." Void says as the door shuts behind him. I slightly put my hand on the door as magic courses from my palm and I'm able to hear the conversation between them. "Where's she hiding them?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about." Mr. Yukimura lies.

"Her little knives. Daggers." I hear what sounds like books drop down to the floor. "I know what they are. Physical representation of her tails. However the hell that works." I raise a brow in confusion.

"Maybe you'd like to do some reading on it. I can direct you to the section on Japanese myth in the library."

"No. No, I'd like to talk to you. The older the tail, the stronger the Oni. Am I right? I know there's one left... I know it's the strongest."

"Unfortunately, I don't know what you're referring to." Yukimura lies once again.

"You'll talk..." The sound of Mr. Yukimura choking reaches my ears. "They always talk."

I stand up straighter as Void walks out of the room and the black smoke from my palm disappears.

"Now what?" I ask as I see that he didn't get what we came here for.

"Now, now we get that tail."

>>> >>> >>>

Void had me stay hidden as he went to Stiles' house to make himself known to Stilinski and the rest of the McCall pack.

By the time the pack did make it to the house though, Void was already gone and it was my turn to put on an act.

I race up the stairs of the Stilinski household and as I walk into Stiles' room all four heads turn to me.

"I got here as quick as I could." I say pretending to be out of breath.

"Zoey. Where the hell have you been?" Allison asks as she squeezes me in a hug. Without blowing my cover I give her a quick hug before pulling away.

"Ugh, the damn Nogitsune had me. I was tied up in some abandoned building, but I was luckily able to break out before he could return." I lie.

"Well, what building was it?" Derek asks.

"It was in the middle of nowhere, but there's no point in going back there. He probably already knows I'm gone, he won't return there."

"What is all this?" Chris asks as all attention is taken off of me. "What are these sticky notes for?"

All five of us look down at a chess board with all of our names attached to chess pieces.

"This is what Stiles used to try and explain to me about all of you." Stilinski answers.

"Well, maybe it's a message from Stiles." Allison informs. "The real Stiles."

"You think there's any reason why my name's on the king?" Derek asks.

"Or why Zoey's piece is off the board?"

"I have no idea." I answer. I smirk when no one's looking at me. Or maybe it's because he already has me on his side.

"Well, you're heavily guarded." Stilinski goes back to answering Derek. "Though I guess the alarming detail is that you're one move from being in checkmate."

"It's not a message from Stiles. It's a threat from the Nogitsune." Chris starts to figure it out.

"He's at the loft." I say giving them the answer that they're looking for.

"That's what he's trying to tell us." Allison says.

"And he wants us to come there." Chris adds.

"Night's falling." Derek informs.

"This couldn't sound anymore like a trap."

"I don't think it is." Stilinski says.

"I think your opinion might be slightly biased, Sheriff." Chris tells him.

"Hear me out. What we're dealing with here is basically someone who lacks motive. No rhyme, no reason, right?"

"Meaning what?"

"Our enemy is not a killer. It's a trickster. The killing is just a by-product."

"If your saying it won't kill us, I'm not feeling to confident about that." Derek speaks his opinion.

"It won't. It wants irony. I - it wants to play a trick. It wants a joke." Stilinski figures out. "All we need to do is come up with a new punch line."

"The sun is setting, Sheriff." Chris says. "What do you have in mind?"

Stilinski figures out a plan on what he wants to do and we all start to leave the house as I trail behind them.

A smirk is brought to my face as I pull out my phone. What the pack doesn't know is that Void and I have a plan of our own. I type out a message sending it to the Nogitsune.

'Everything is set out in motion. Let's have some fun'