Chapter 9: Too soon

[Edited]

Heavy.

Heavy was the word to describe his stare. It was so heavy, intimidating, that I couldn't dare to look up from my plate.

We were currently sitting in our dining room, around the dining table. There was a lot of noise, the adults talking openly and freely, while Sunmi was busy telling Beomgyu the story she just watched, even though he already knew it. But there was this high tension, towards the middle of the table, and strangely, exactly where I sat opposite to Jungkook.

It was almost as if there was this big dark cloud hovering above our heads that was threatening to rain on us any moment. And I shivered in fear of getting struck by some potential lightning.

Why was he glaring like that? I didn't know. I just wanted him to stop. I wanted to scream at him to let him know that I understood it was my fault. I was ready to plaid guilty! If this was his way of taking his revenge on me, he succeeded with full marks!

"So, Jungkook, tell us about yourself."

Both Jungkook and I sat straight, looking at my mother. Jungkook politely put his cutlery down, bringing his hands down to his lap.

"oh, uh..."His shy demeanor took over as he didn't know what to say.

"Our Jungkook is studying engineering at Bighit University." His aunt cut in, proudly. My parents' eyes widened, and they turned once again Jungkook's way.

"That is impressive! But isn't that university far?"

"Oh, y-yes." He stuttered, scratching the back of his neck. "I mean no, it's closer to this town, so that's why I moved in with aunty Nana. It's still a good hour drive though."

My mom nodded, still in awe at the previous revelation. Jungkook's aunt then waved her hands, catching the attention of everyone.

"No, no. He actually moved in because there's this theater club he goes to here."

"Really? You play theater, Jungkook?" My father exclaimed, very excited. Jungkook nodded, and my father let out a big, fake laugh. "Our Y/n does too!"

"I know."He replied, and everyone's eyes dramatically went wide. "I-I mean..." He nervously looked at me; "W-We go to the same club..." His hand gestured in back and forth motion between us, making me stifle a laugh. His was so cute when shy.

"You two know each other? What a coincidence!" I frowned at my mom's response. She was getting better at lying every passing day. Of course she knew Jungkook. I told her about him once- maybe twice or thrice... Or maybe more- about how perfectly perfect he was. From the corner of her eye, she winked at me, and I finally caught on her plan. The puzzle in my mind was completing little by little.

I mentally gasped, leaning back a bit to correctly observe my parents. Their entire attention was focused on the lonely boy. I couldn't believe my eyes. These parents-

"But you came to see our last show, didn't you?" Jungkook asked, and I froze.

Dear God, I've lived enough. Take me back now!

"O-Oh, y-yes we did! Wh-what was that play called again? Was it something like War of hormones?" My mom panicked to get her way out. My father scratched his beard awkwardly, pretending to think.

"Yes, and I was the main lead, alongside Y/n."

"Oh yes! Now we see who you are!" My father laughed so loud everyone was confused about what was so funny while I shook my head.