Chapter 45: New Year

My hand in his, Jungkook and I walked around his house, admiring the lights.

We had finished eating a little while ago and everyone was busy chatting the night away, waiting for the New Year to begin. Only one hour was left, thankfully. One long hour.

It was a lovely evening but I realised that I wasn't that much of a social butterfly as I thought I was. The amount of guests here made me uncomfortable, which was weird because I'm used to perform a show in front of hundreds of people.

Then again, in a show, I get the confidence from the character I impersonate. I imagine as if there's no one watching and I just need to act how my character would, which isn't hard, since I'm told what to say or do.

But when it came to real life, and I had to act without memorizing no script, I was completely lost. Not to mention this was such a new situation to me, joining a New Year's party thrown by my first ever boyfriend's parents that I have never met before and full of strangers that were related to Jungkook's family but had nothing to do with me. I didn't know what to say or how to act at all. I wish I had asked my mom about how to behave in this case, since I only have her to advice me.

Then again, every time I felt out of place and awkward, I would feel a reassuring squeeze on my hand and my entire body would relax instantly, as my eyes would directly look for Jungkook's. When he smiled, all of my worries vanished and I could only smile back.

Remembering that he was by my side helped me understand that for him too, this was new. And that most of all, he knew how I felt. Nothing was more reassuring to me than knowing that whatever happened, he was next to me to help me out. He didn't say it out loud, but his eyes told me so.

We strangely understood each other well.

Yes, Jungkook and I, we were quite alike in these matters. Maybe that's why when he joined the club he quickly became comfortable around me. And perhaps that was one of the many reasons I fell for him too. He wasn't the first boy I ever met, nor worked with or became friends with. But he was definitely the first who I could relate to, who I could understand and who could understand me.

"Oh, there he is! Jungkook, come over for sec!" We stopped when a voice called out for Jungkook. It was a young man in a fancy suit, sitting on a sofa in the salon with two girls and another boy, sitting on a separate sofa. One of the girls waved, calling Jungkook over.

"Oh, Ji Pyeong hyung!" The boy next to me exclaimed, suddenly excited. He walked over to their sofa in seconds, dragging me with him. The said Ji Pyeong got up for a short moment to hug Jungkook, before sitting back down. Jungkook and I then took a seat on the sofa next to theirs, where the other boy was sitted. "I haven't seen you since last year's party hyung."

"Whose fault is that, you little brat?" They laughed. I watched them, a little smile on my face. I supposed that they were close given the way the were addressing each other. "Where have you been all year? Heard from aunty that you moved?"

"Ah hyung, I moved at the beginning of the semester! It hasn't even been that long! you were the one that was gone the entire year."

"True, he only came back from Europe two months ago." The girl next to him, with beautiful dragon eyes, said. "And he didn't even bring us any souvenir."

Jungkook faked a gasp, earning a giggle from her.

"Hey, I was on a business trip, not a vacation."

"That's no excuse! You had like half a year! You could have gone out to get me something!" The girl pushed him playfully. After her laughter died down, her eyes finally settled on me and something in them sparked, like a firework lighting up. "Oh, Jungkook, won't you introduce her to us? She's been hanging with you all night."