Chapter 29: it's just a "greeting"

"What do I do?!" I cried out against my phone, pulling on my braid.

My best friend sighed from the other side, groaning.

"Look, Y/n, it's okay-"

"It's NOT okay?! OKay?! It's terrible!" I lifted myself up from the bed, stomping around it. "He-he probably remembers that I like him and then I kiss him.. He's gonna think I'm still pathetically drooling over him and expecting something to happen between us, ugh!"

Waking up this morning, I, of course, remembered everything. I wasn't even that drunk to begin with. But OF COURSE I had to be drunk enough to have the bravery to kiss Jungkook on the cheek!

Oh my God! He'll think of me as a burden! Maybe he'll tell me to just stay away from now on!

'What do I do?'

"Y/n, calm down. It wasn't that much of an important kiss."

I bit my lip, listening to Lisa's counseling. Did she have a point? Was there a chance Jungkook thought of it only as a 'kiss on the cheek'? A friendly kiss?

I stopped in my tracks, thinking.

Why yes! Yes he could!

"R-right! A kiss on the cheek is nothing important, right?! Western people do it as a greeting, right?! I-I.. I could just tell him that it was just a mere pathetic 'bise', right? Just a goodbye kiss! He'll think that, right?"

Lisa scoffed. "Of course, you kissing a korean boy on the cheek, in the middle of the night, here in Korea, yeah. definitely not weird. Even less weird if you wanted to... Just 'try out' french greeting, with a boy who by the way, knows you like him."

I sucked my lips in, restraining a whimper.

"Lisa..." I whined in the tiniest voice possible, almost a squeak.

She sighed and I could imagine her pinching the bridge of her nose in this precise moment. After a moment of reflexion, she spoke up.

"Look, just pretend you were too drunk. That you don't remember anything."

My eyes widened.

"Oh..." That was a good idea, how come I didn't think of that before?

Lisa chuckled. "Idiot, it's just that simple. Now get on to working for classes." She hung up first.

I sat back down on my bed, holding my phone tightly in my hands. I felt relaxed, as if a big weight was lifted from my shoulders.

Yes, that was a good plan. Just blame everything on the alcohol!

-----------------------------

"Yeah, I'll see you in class then." I replied hastily to Lisa, holding my phone in between my ear and shoulder while I was packing up my bag. "yup, sure we can stay at the library after." Zipping up my bag, I threw the strap over my free shoulder and finally held my phone against my head. "Okay, I'm leaving now, see you later."

With a last kiss, I bid her goodbye and rushed out of my room. I ran down the stairs and as I looked up arriving at the foot of it, my breath got caught in my throat.

Wow, didn't expect him of all people here.

"Hey." Jungkook waved. I returned the greeting, discreetly checking out his outfit. He wore blue jeans, combined with a beautiful yellow shirt, tucked into his belt. Because of the change in temperature, he had replaced the black leather jacket for an earthy coloured long coat, that reached his knees. His backpack was substituted for a shoulder bag, giving him the ultimate college boy look. In sum, he looked divine. "How are you doing?"

"Oh." I snapped out of my trance, nervously playing with my earring. "Uhm, good. How about you?"

"Good. Although I feel like I didn't even have a weekend. Jimin hyung and Tae-hyung were so knocked out after Friday that they weren't in the mood for anything during the entire weekend." He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Oh, yeah, Friday night was a bit wild." I agreed, playing ahead with the plan that Lisa had suggested me. "I, too, was knocked out of my senses. I don't remember a thing. NOT. A. SINGLE. THING." I scoffed, pretending to be frustrated.

Jungkook tilted his head, eyeing me. I gulped and awkwardly smiled, going pass him and wearing my boots.

"So, what are you doing here?" I broke the silence, bending down to zip up my shoes.

"Nothing much, Aunt Nana sent over some breakfast muffin and in exchange your mom wants to give her last night's lasagna, so she went to heat it up and told me to wait here."

I giggled, standing straight again. "These two really get along, don't they?"

He nodded. "Like childhood friends but who only know each other for a few months."

After that sentence, that damn awkward silence was back again, both of us swaying our bodies from left to right waiting for my mom to appear. I wanted to run out of the door but I thought it might look a bit rude and- cough cough- it was additional time standing close to him. Hehe.

"Oh!" A sudden bulb lit up in my head as I got an idea for a quick conversation. "About the tutoring, I'll send you my planning. That way you know on which day I'll be studying my english classes."

He smiled. A little sparkle shone in his eyes, giving off kind of a... mischievous look. "Oh, nice. I'll just adjust my time table to yours, then."

"Yes! That's great. And on those day we can meet up somewhere, at my place or yours or even the library!"

He nodded. "Yes, that is great." He placed both of his hands inside the pockets of his jeans, leaning against the open front door. My heart jumped a little when he licked his lips, a little smirk growing on them. "I'm glad you remember that, I was worried I had to ask again since, you know, you couldn't remember a single thing from Friday night."

Oh.

Oh, no.

F*ck my life.

It felt as if time stopped, him watching my frozen form with amusement while I couldn't dare to look up and meet his eyes.

"Jungkook! There you go!" My mom appeared out of the kitchen, holding a plastic box with the heated lasagna in it. I cleared my throat and looked away. Thank God my mom always had good timing. "I'm sorry I made you wait, I hope you're not late?"

"Oh not at all. Thank you." He sweetly smiled at my mom, taking the box from her hands.

"Say thanks to your aunt again. You two have a good day at uni. And be carefull." She patted Jungkook's shoulder and pressed a quick kiss on my cheek. She then left as quickly as she came.

Not sparing Jungkook a look, I gestured for him to leave first. "You go first."

"Thanks." He walked out the front door, me following him and closing it behind me. Reaching the street, he stopped knowing we had to go separate ways from here. "So, I'll see you...?"

"Oh," I thought about it. When would I get to see him again? "Uhm, well, See you for our tutoring, I guess."

He nodded, smacking his lips shut. I was about to walk away when he reached out his hand. Frowning, I looked up at him, asking him what he was doing.

He tilted his head. "Shaking hands to say goodbye, you know."

Oh, he wanted to shake hands. Stupid me.

Smiling, I placed my hand into his.

However, instead of shaking our hands, he pulled me out of the blue. I gasped as my front collided against him, the box of lasagna hitting my chest. "Wha-" My breath got caught in my throat as I felt his soft lips against my cheek, the small surface of my skin burning at the touch.

Eyes wide and breathe erratic, I stared at his form as he pulled away.

He winked, making my heart stop. "It's just a greeting."

-------------------------------------------