𝟬𝟭. under the skin

CHAPTER ONE
we can't run from fate

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐁oredom had always been Raegan LaRusso's greatest enemy. Because when boredom comes, the sudden urge to do something she wasn't supposed to do comes around, too. Maybe it was just her spontaneous nature, but she needed to do something or she swore she'd go insane. It didn't make it any better that school wasn't starting until the next day.

     She usually spends her day lounging around their pool. Or releasing the tension inside her chest with the punching bag she hung up on a tree in their backyard. Either way, it always comes to an end, and boredom always comes creeping back like a persistent snake.

     Her whole summer mostly consisted of all that. Well, sometimes she liked staying in her room alone with her thoughts, and the pizza she usually orders from the local pizzeria in town. Right now, she was around the pool, basking in the sunless sky as she sat on a recliner outside while aggressively tapping her phone's screen.

     "Rae?" Somebody called, confusion laced in his tone. Raegan almost jumped back on her feet out of reflex. But then she looked at the owner of the voice and realized it was only her father. "What are you doing out here? It's getting really dark."

     "Sorry," Raegan mumbled, leaning forward from the chair as she dropped her phone on her lap. "I got bored. I didn't know what else to do in my room."

     "Huh." Daniel LaRusso raised his brows like something was amusing. "There's still a few weeks before school. You might wanna find some new hobbies 'til then."

     "I've got a lot," Raegan pointed out. "I have hobbies."

     Her dad smiled at her, the corner of his eyes crinkling in amusement. "Yeah, like lying in your bed all the time?"

     "Hey." Raegan frowned playfully. "That's a hobby."

     "Sure, hon," Daniel chuckled, shaking his head.

     Then an idea suddenly came into her mind. She shifted on her seat and looked up at him. Her emerald eyes twinkled in the moonlight. "Wait. Dad. Can I actually go out?"

     "This night?" He asked. "Where to?"

     "I don't know," She shrugged her shoulders. "I think I'll buy myself some food."

     "You could just tell one of the maids, or maybe you'd like the food in the fridge━"

     "Dad."

     Daniel sighed and dropped his arms to the sides. He nodded reluctantly. "Alright, alright."

     "Thanks, Dad. Bye!" Raegan grinned and tackled him into a short hug. She didn't get to hear his response as she bolted out of their backyard in a hurry because she knew he was already starting to change his mind.

     Raegan slowly positioned her car on the empty parking aisle outside the strip mall, the continuous beeping sound of her red 1991 Acura NSX being the only thing she could hear as she parked it. A car she received from her father when she got her driver's license. It still looked as good as new. Besides, Raegan always takes good care of all the things she receives from someone else.