𝟭𝟲. still breathing

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
i'm doing all i can to fight it

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐑aegan sat on a chair outside the operating room where Miguel was. Staring at the ground, her eyes filled with void and her face blank as the white hospital walls. She felt numb to the bone. Her own wounds didn't phase her. It hurts more to see Miguel in that hospital bed, alone and asleep, at least that's what it looked like. But no, he was unconscious and terribly broken, and it wasn't a good thing.

      "You've seen your fair share of these," She heard the doctor speak to Carmen and Yaya, along with Johnny who was basically family too. But she doesn't know after this one. "So you know the next 24 hours are critical."

     "But he's gonna pull through, right?" Johnny asked hopefully.

     "We're doing everything we can."

     She stood up from the chair and started to carelessly walk away from them. She had no idea where she was going or what the hell was going on anymore. There was only one thing in her mind right now, and that was Miguel Diaz. He was going to pull through. She just knows it. He was a strong one, and he couldn't just give up on her. On them. He has to live.

      "Raegan, honey!" Amanda gasped, seeing her daughter's state, but she just stared at them with no specific emotion on her face. It broke her mother's heart. "Oh, my baby."

    "You need to get checked on, Rae," Daniel said worriedly as Amanda gently guided her to a chair.

     "No," Raegan muttered, and Samantha pursed her lips as she avoided her gaze.

     "What?" Daniel furrowed his brows in disbelief. "What do you mean, no?"

     His wife placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him down. "Sweetie..."

      "I said no," Raegan repeated firmly, and he stared at her like she had four arms. She gritted her teeth, and abruptly stood up, almost cursing at the sudden pain in her gut. "That means, I don't want to, Dad!

    "Raegan━"

    "I'm fine," She said, her voice breaking ever so slightly. "I... I just gotta make sure he's fine."

     "You can worry about him later, Raegan," Daniel said carefully, but she was barely listening to him as she turned her back on them. "You need to be okay too."

      "Just let me be," She said quietly, but they've heard it. "Please."

      "Okay, baby," Amanda said softly after she sent her husband a warning look.

     Samantha could only stare at her sister with a somber look on her face. Raegan tugged the sleeves of her shirt as she trudged her way back to the OR where they placed her boyfriend to prep him for an operation. Even though she felt pain all over her body, she still tried to see him. She had to see him, because her heart couldn't calm down until she knew he was fine. She noticed Johnny turned around a corner, and she sighed, taking her feet outside the hospital room.

     She stood quietly, staring at his unconscious figure on the hospital bed inside the room. He looked peaceful, and it made heart her ache even more. A blue brace was wrapped around his neck to support him. But the sight of the love of her life on that hospital bed was enough to make her break down once again.

     It was too much.

      Raegan slid down on the floor, her back against the white walls, and tears streaming down her reddened cheeks. She clenched her fists so tight, that small bits of blood leaked from the crescent shapes on her palm from sharp nails. Hastily rubbing the fallen tears from her face, she grabbed her wallet from her pockets.

     Raegan opened it, and their picture greeted her. They had big smiles on their faces, and their arms wrapped around each other.

      "Please be okay," She sobbed quietly, staring at the photo inside her wallet. "You have to be okay. I don't know what I'd do without you."

      She cried silently and hugged her knees to her chest. It was like, every time she felt comfortable with someone, they tried to turn their back on her or get hurt. But no. Miguel Diaz will live. He has to live. She refused to think that he wouldn't, because she was afraid to lose him.

      It doesn't matter. She'd wait for him even if it took a hundred years, a countless sleepless nights. She'd always wait for him. That's what Raegan promised herself from the start. No matter what happens, no matter what life throws at her, she will always be there, and that's what she was going to do. She will keep that promise as long as she's around, and no one was going to stop her.