Chapter 7: Sleep Interrupted

Song for this chapter is Low by Greyson Chance.

<<<

I was sat outside on a balcony area high up in the sky looking out at night time New York City.

It had been 2 days since the love of my life was back in my arms.

Two days since I was reunited with my family.

2 days.

And truthfully.

I was struggling.

With the new-found information.

With my recovery.

The pain.

With finding myself again.

"I wondered where you got to," Tayte said, coming to join me, "Everyone's getting ready for dinner,"

"I'm not hungry, I just want to be left alone,"

"I can't let that happen Keane. I won't let that happen and you know that,"

"I'm sorry,"

  "And quit telling me that too"

"When are we going home?" I asked with a sigh,

"The day after tomorrow,"

"Is it finally over?" I whispered as he sat beside me, "Tell me it's over,"

"Truthfully...I think it is" I leant my head against his shoulder, closing my eyes,

"I don't know how I'm going to get through this Tayte. I know I've come so far but...I'm tired babe and I'm in pain and I'm just sick and tired of living,"

"If you ever say those words to me again Keane. Jesus. I am not ever going to leave you and I don't know how many times I'm going to have to tell you this...I love you Keane, you are my soulmate, you are my everything, you complete me, life isn't worth living without you. So don't you dare say that to me. I will help you through whatever's thrown at us. We are undefeatable baby and everything is going to be okay. I promise you. After everything we've gone through, we are finally at the finish and the future I see is nothing but great," I began to cry,

"I'm sorry...I didn't... I...I love you more than the air we breathe and without you by my side I would've...I might not be here today," he caressed my face with his hands softly and then he kissed me and I disappeared and the world disappeared and all that mattered was Tayte and I.

...

Dinner was a quiet affair on everyone's behalf, no one really said much, it seemed like the whole of the hotel's restaurant had subconsciously undertaken our pain and hurt. I spent most of dinner pushing my food around the plate and eating the odd mouthful when Tayte or Noah or Talina gave me 'the look'. I was waiting for someone to excuse themselves so I could go back my room and be alone and pray the darkness didn't consume me.

"How long are we staying in New York for?" Noah asked after everyone had finally finished eating, and I'd grown tired of playing with my food.

"Another 2 days, we'll see the week through before heading home," Dad answered.

"Though I did say I would go back early with you Keane," Talina said,

"I appreciate that," I answered quietly, "But I think I can manage 2 more days"

I hoped I could anyway.

Because this feeling.

The feeling of dread.