Chapter 18: Broken Chains

Song for the chapter is Beyond Today by James Gillespie

<<<

My definition of having it out must have been different to everyone else's. We all went back to our room and had a chat. I had to go to the ER in the morning. Dad, Mum and Joey though weren't coming with us as they had arranged to meet with someone, but ensured they will be ringing hourly. If I was to ever go anywhere again by myself I had to take my phone. I knew Keane and Tayte had plenty more to say to me, but that would have to wait until the morning. It was 4.30am. I was led awake staring at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. I was in pain, my cheek throbbing, my jaw rippled with pain every time I moved it and my eye was thudding with a weird sensation. Thoughts were pacing through my mind.

"I never wanted my son to grow up like you did," Dad said quietly, "I couldn't get out. I was already in and I didn't want you to be in danger. I thought about you every single day. You were often what kept me sane. What kept me human. And it's devastating to see you at such conflict with yourself,"

"It's not your fault. None of what I'm going through is your fault. It's Mum's, things could have been a whole lot different. I'm getting there, it's not easy, but with brothers like Keane and Noah and friends like Tayte and Angelo and Mali, I'm doing okay."

  "You know I'm here for you. I can't say I know what you're going through. But I have also been to hell and back son,"

"I know Dad. I love you,"

  "I love you too,"

...

I awoke in extreme pain and blurred vision in my right eye. There was loud banging at the door. I stumbled out of bed and opened it 

"You look like shit. Get dressed we're going to the hospital," Keane said coming in followed by Tayte.

"Good morning to you too," I said.

  "Don't start because Keane isn't in the mood and I'm definitely not," I didn't respond, but got dressed.

"How's the pain?" Keane said, as I pulled on some shoes.

   "Anything I say you're both going to bite my head off, and I am seriously not up for confronting right now,"

"Hurts that much does it," Tayte said. I shrugged,

  "Don't be like this," Keane said, "I don't like being at odds with you. I just care about you,"

...

We left the hotel and bundled into an ordered private taxi which took us 25 minutes to MedStar Washington Hospital Centre. I hadn't realised how bad my face was until I saw the reflection in the windows before we walked in.

"My brother had an accident yesterday and we were hoping someone could have a look at him?"

"Were the police called yesterday when he was assaulted?" The receptionist said,

  "It's not that bad," I said, Keane and Tayte scoffed,

"Honey, it's bad. What's your name? Can I see your health insurance," I handed it to her, "Marcelo, as in Logan Marcelo, who's been all over the news," I nodded, "you his son?" I nodded again, "If you take a seat someone will be with you shortly,"

"I don't know if that was a good thing or not," Tayte said,

"Maybe special treatment" Keane said; I didn't say anything. Keane looked at me, "you okay?" He said quietly,

"No," I replied, "I'm not Keane. But please don't worry about me,"

"How can you tell me not to worry," I didn't have a chance to respond as my name was called,