Chapter 14: Malicious Tongues

Song for the chapter is Say Amen by American Authors featuring Billy Raffoul

<<<

Keane's POV

The atmosphere was tense. Animosity thick.
There was anger.
Pain.

I was glad there wasn't some large boardroom type table we all had to sit at. That would have been too much. Knifes were going to come out and throats were easier to be cut across a table than sat on some sofas in an awkward type circle. That's how we were sat, Tayte, Arlo and I on one, Dad and Arii, Noah and Angelo and Talina and Mum. Our parents have barely looked at one another since they came in. We were all quiet, no one wanting to start it off, after the initial interrogation over Arlo's face.

So I did:

   "Your so called working it out hadn't been going to well has it," I said, "You ran off to Dubai and Mum almost had a bloody breakdown,"

"I didn't run off Keane and you know it. I had things to attend to and sort out with Harvey and Donna. It just so happened to coincide with the argument," Dad answered,

  "Why are you trying to justify yourself. I fully understand why you don't want to try again with Mum. She fucked you over. She fucked us all over,"

"Yes she did. But Dad isn't all innocent in this. You yourself know Keane they were both keeping secrets from us, just as you were from me," Noah said,

  "Don't start Noah. I didn't keep any secrets from you. I only tried to protect you," I replied,

"And don't you think that's what we were trying to do," Mum said, "We were both trying to protect you from our past. From our mess,"

"Protect. That didn't bloody work out though did it,"

"No. But at least Arii wasn't mixed up in all of this," Mum said,

  "That's because I was travelling and then when I hear about Keane I was shipped back to America to go to College,"

"Wait hold up. So just because Arii who as she said wasn't with us because she was travelling..." I trailed off, "You spoke to that twat Damon didn't you. You told him to take Arii travelling because you knew what was going to happen,"

"Keane you're wrong about that. I can honestly say we didn't know what was going to happen," Dad replied,

"You're not denying telling him take her travelling though,"

    "Keane I wanted to travel. I put it to Damon. It wasn't him telling me,"

"There you go. Defending him again. Even after what he did,"

"Keane," Tayte warned,

   "What did Damon do?" Noah asked. Shit. We hadn't mentioned the whole Arii Damon debacle.

"Basically he hates Keane, had a go at Arii for changing because she was worried about her older either and dealing with the shock of finding out she had another brother," Arlo announced, everyone looked to Arii.

  "This isn't time to talk about mine and Damon's relationship. I'd like to speak more about Keane's suicide attempt,"

She did not just say that.

"Seriously you're going there. You have no fucking right Arii. No right," I snapped, "How the hell do you even know?"

"I mentioned it to her yesterday," Tayte said,

   "Really babe," I could see his eyes were relived I called him babe, "This is all I fucking need,"

"Keane. What...what is she talking about," Mum gasped.