Chapter 34: In The Eye

Song for chapter is Get Up by Nick Wilson

<<<

The past couple of days had been nice and relaxed, really getting as much family time in as we could before the new year began and college started back up, Angelo went back to work, Dad moved to Dubai and Logan San Francisco.

Today we set off early with backpacks full of food and drink, for a day of nature trails and hiking.

"Is anyone else really cold, or is it just me?" I asked, trying to hold in the shivers. It was around 4pm and had been a really long and tiring day. The light would also be fading relatively soon. Which would also mean the temperature would drop.

"I'm hot, all this walking we've been doing and these many layers I'm currently wearing," Arii answered.

No one was cold. Not even Mali and she got cold so easily.

"Are you feeling okay?" Tayte asked, pulling me into him, "Your not getting ill are you?"

"I hope not, I'm good. Just, cold," I saw Arlo and Angelo exchange glances, but I dismissed it. I knew what everyone was like. We continued walking. There was 4 miles to go before we got back to the cabin, meaning we'd definitely be caught by the darkness. At dusk we stopped for a water break.

"It's going to be creepy walking back now," Leo announced,

"Like a scary ghost walk. OMG, WHAT HAPPENS IF WE SEE A GHOST?" Noah exclaimed,

"Think we should be more worried about bears and coyotes than ghosts bub," Arlo explained,

"Why did you say that QB," Mali smiled,

"It's okay. I'll protect us all," he winked,

"You're quiet Keane. Are you still cold?" Angelo asked,

"Mmm...but I feel hot too," I replied as my teeth chattered,

"Shine a torch at us please," Angelo asked,

"You have cold hands," I muttered,

"And you brother are burning up,"

"I am?" I asked.

"Are we going to make it back?" Noah softly spoke,

"Guys I'm okay. I'll warm up as we walk," which was a lie since I hadn't warmed up yet, but they didn't need to know that.

"Keane, you really don't look too good brother, we need you to be honest with us," Arlo told me gently, putting his hand on my shoulder,

"I'll be okay,"

"That wasn't what he asked," Tayte commented,

"I just feel cold and hot at the same time, but I am sure I'll be okay," They all looked at each other, "Can we just go before it gets even darker?" Tayte took my hand,

"We go at your pace baby, your pace,"

I knew they were all worrying about me and I didn't blame them. Due to me having half of a spleen, I was more susceptible to getting ill and being ill was dangerous, as it exposed me to worse illnesses which I could catch really easily.

It was pitch black now, luckily the stars and moon were shining brightly, providing a path of light we could follow, like a lighthouse. I think we were around 20 minutes away from the cabin when it all got to much for me. I needed stop. I was shivering and Tayte rubbed his hands up and down my arms, trying to warm me up.

"I'm not feeling too good, I..." I stammered. It was as if they were waiting for those words. Angelo jumped into action.

"Noah, you need to head back to the cabin now with Arii and Leo. Tell everyone what's going on. That Keane isn't feeling well," Angelo explained, "And get a warm bath ready for him,"