Chapter 13

Mitch's P.O.V.

A couple of weeks past by. I went to see Scott in the hospital everyday and every night. Our whole lives got put on hold. We canceled concerts. We didn't rehearse.

Scott seemed to be a different person. Some days I would go to see him and he would be singing and laughing and be talking non stop. Others he wouldn't say a word to me, he became distant. Other days he would be sleeping. Other days he would have a fit.

I never really knew what to call them. Do I call them fits? Incidents? Anger moments? I don't know.

Scott's doctor was, Dr. Ciara Healy. She was a tall woman, with dark brown, wavy hair. It was always pulled back into a tight bun. She would come into the ward, that Scott had been moved onto, every afternoon when I was there. She would walk through the door, sanitize her hands, go round to every bed, finishing on us, sanitize her hands again and then walk out the door.

Dr. Healy told me minuscule things. I always felt like I wasn't getting the full story.

Scott was often whisked away for tests. They prodded at him. They probed him. Dr. Healy said that they had found that it wasn't schizophrenia what Scott had. He had something different, something they'd never seen before. And they weren't going to rest until they figured out what it was.

On the other Scott had only made me a target of his anger one other time than that first night. I don't even remember what we were talking about it happened so quickly. I think it was something to do with arranging for Pentatonix. We had all decided to try and get a few songs arranged, even without Scott. So when he did get out of hospital we could get things back up to date. I was telling him what we were doing and then snap. Something happened, he jumped out of the bed and pushed me to the ground. The nurses were in the room before I could even shout.

Nurse Keane pressed the button beside his bed. And he immediately calmed down. I got up off the floor. "We needed to get him to Dr. Healy." Nurse Keane said releasing the brakes on the bed and whisking off for what I guessed was more testing.

Why couldn't they figure out what this was and send him home? Useless doctors!

It was on one particular day that everything changed.

I got up early, earlier then normal. Walked the road to Starbucks. Fed Wyatt. Watched the news. Had a shower. Got dressed. Ate breakfast. Headed out the door.

I drove to Kirstie's and talked to her. Asked her if she wanted to come to the hospital with me. She declined. She didn't like hospitals one bit. Every time she came with me she would always leave earlier than me. Maybe that was because I liked just sitting with Scott. He is my best friend after all.

When I left Kirstie's I took the road to the hospital. I walked the long winding but familiar corridors. I knew exactly where each and every room was now. I knew most of the nurses on a first name bases. I had met Mia a couple of times but never long enough to have a full conversation with her.

On this particular day though, I walked into the ward that Scott was on to see his bed empty. My immediate reaction was that he had been taken for tests. I looked around to see a nurse. I walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Excuse me, do you know where they've taken Scott?" I said. She looked me up and down. "He's in theatre." She said abruptly turning back to what she was doing. Theatre. Why was he there?

I sat down in the chair beside Scott's bed. I sat there for hours on end. Visiting time had come and gone but I refused to move until I saw Scott. Suddenly I saw a familiar face. "Nurse Keane!" I shouted getting up and walking towards her. "Where is he?" I said. "He's been moved to another ward," she said calmly, "He's just had major head surgery. He is unlikely to wake for a few hours but feel free to sit with him." She guided me to the next ward on the corridor.

I saw him lying looking peaceful. A white bandage wrapped around his head. His eyes closed but not in that tight way that meant he was in pain. A fourth wire now connecting to his chest, taking his heart  beat.

I stood over his body, looking down at him. It's weird he looks more relaxed now then he has looked in weeks. I could see just under the bandage. They had shaved some of his hair away. I giggled internally. He's not going to be happy about  that. It was strange I felt a sudden sense of relief. Even though I didn't know what they had done, I knew we were on the home length.

I sat down just as Dr. Healy walked in. She smiled at me. "All we do now is wait." She said. "We found what was wrong with him. Nothing any of us had seen before. Something in his brain. It looks like it had come on with maturity. It was like too wires were connected wrong." She said to me. I looked up at her. "Is he going to be ok?" I asked. "It's a long way from knowing yet. We have to wait until he wakes up. He'll have to stay here for examining for a few more days. Then he'll have this whole therapy. But we are looking on the positive side yes." She answered.

I wanted to wait until Scott woke up. I wanted him to know that I had stayed with him. I had been here.

I opened my eyes suddenly. I must have fallen asleep. I looked down at my phone. 2 am. Why??????

I suddenly heard a stirring in the bed. I looked up my eyes concentrating on the figure who began to wake up. I stood up to get a better look at him as his eyes fluttered open. It was so good to see those eyes again.

He went to lift his head. "Careful. You don't want to do more damage." I said softly. "What have they done to me?" He asked. "I'm not entirely sure. Moved some wires? I think she mentioned that..." I said giggling. "Good to see you awake." Scott lifted his shaky hand to my face and pushed my hair out of my eyes. "Is it really that good?" He asked looking me directly in the eyes. "It's amazing." I answered. "You seem to look more like the Scott Hoying I know and love too." I continued not breaking eye contact. "Love?" He said. "Yes?" I said.

At the moment in time nothing could be better. I leant down and kissed him. His hands cupped my face as he kissed back. He pulled away out of breath. "I would keep going but I'm so tired." He said. "Go back to sleep Hoying." I giggled pecking him on the lips before sitting down.

He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. "Night Grassi." He whispered closing his eyes.

A/N

Hey!! Update whooooooooo! Hope u enjoyed!! Hahahahaha.

i want to dedicate this chapter to one of my best friends in the entire world @CiaraHealyxx Thanks for making the cover girl. In return I made u a doctor haha.

vote/comment/share/tell a friend

social media

tumblr ciaraturner1310

twitter @1310Ciara

See u guys soon.