Part 25

You wake up where you passed out to the sound of a man saying "Escanor you arrogant bastard! I've missed our fights!"

The Agony Matrix seems to have been turned off.

When your eyes open, you're nearly blinded by the shining of the sun off a set of golden armour. The man in the armour is gigantic and in his hand he holds an axe. Estarossa seems genuinely happy about seeing this man. The man, Escanor, cleaves Estarossa in half with a swipe of his axe. He walks over to you and lifts you off the bed, holding you close to his chest. You whimper.

"It'll be alright. You're safe now," says Escanor, gently.

He's really warm.

"Apollo sent me," he says, "to bring you somewhere safer."

You cry silent tears as Escanor takes you over to your window. A golden chariot floats outside. He opens your window and places you in the chariot, then climbs in after you. He signals for the four horses to start moving and they obey. Feeling too weak to even stay upright, you curl up with Escanor and close your eyes.

It feels like a moment, but when you wake up you've arrived somewhere you don't recognize. Escanor carries you into a building and sets you down on a golden bed. Apollo strides into the room not long after. He embraces you and your pain disappears as your bones seem to mend themselves.

"It's over now, y/n. When you go home, it will look like nothing happened. Rest, for now."

"The bodies..."

"The body is being hidden as we speak. No one can trace the death back to you."

"What happened to the other body? I saw Escanor cut Estarossa in half."

"Estarossa will heal. We couldn't risk making the current situation worse by killing one of the Demon King's sons. He won't hurt you again. More importantly, I've tracked down someone who might be able to help you and Zeldris."

You sit up. "Who?" you ask.

"Just rest for now. You can meet him later."

Apollo turns to leave.

"Wait," you say, "is Zeldris in any danger?"

"Zeldris... will be fine. We're working to release the two of you from the ritual's constraints with or without the help of the Demon King. Rest, y/n, there will be plenty of time to discuss this after you've slept for a while."

Your eyelids are unbearably heavy.

Apollo hugs you again. He's even warmer than Escanor.

You're asleep before he lets go.