Part 64: A Side Story From Galand's POV

It is a few hours ago and you are currently Galand. This is the story of the ballsiest Canadian park ranger of all time.

You are meandering along one of the park's trails, and by meandering you mean leaping from tree to tree and scaring the humans that came in to hike. You like that you can spot things from the trees.

Like that deer over there.

Or that bear by the lake.

You have your axe handy and, to be honest which is something you no longer have to be since Meliodas took your commandment, you aren't at all concerned about human park rangers or government officials trying to stop you from killing and eating whatever you choose to hunt. You might share your catch with the others. Or you might keep your first kill of the day for yourself.

Fancying a swim, you spring off a tall tree and let yourself fall into the lake. You sink to the bottom. What's with all the submerged trees down there? You make a mental note to ask y/n about it later.

You plod through the submerged forest, watching the bubbles you release rise to the surface. The water resists your steps. The sand at the bottom of the lake sucks your feet down deeper when you move them. There's garbage left by humans as well. Bottles. Metal things. Plastic things. Sunken boats. Even this place is tainted by things that were left behind by the humans.

In spite of the trash, it's peaceful under the water. Just you, the trees, the fish, and the aquatic plants. A pike eyes you as it swims by. You want bigger prey. The deer? No. Too easy. You want to wrestle the bear into submission then kill and eat it.

When you emerge from the water, you're on the other side of the lake. You grabbed a big pike on the way out. The humans scatter when they see you. You bite the head off the fish.

"Excuzez-moi, monsieur, avez vous un permis de pêche?"
You turn at the noise. Some human in a uniform holding a clipboard stares up at you impatiently.

"Uh, what?"

The human sighs.
"Do you 'ave a fishing license for ze province of Québec?"

You respond by finishing your fish. He is not the human with balls of steel. You realize that you and the human are the same height since half of you is still submerged. You walk towards him. He looks like he regrets his rudeness. You grin, before saying nothing and walking back into the lake. The human yells something. He splashes behind you, but soon you're at the bottom of the lake again.

You walk back to the Ontario side of the lake. You climb up a rocky hill to go track down the bear. No sign of it. Perhaps the top of a tree will provide a better viewpoint. You jump up and land on a tree you think is sturdy, bit it breaks. As you fall, you're suddenly a little self-conscious about your weight.

But you do spot the bear.

The noise didn't bother it at all.

It's just a black bear. Looks like a male. You sneak up on it. No easy feat with your height, weight, and shiny outer shell.

You tackle the bear. In a flurry of growls, teeth, and claws, the animal attempts to wound you enough to escape. It's nothing like the grizzlies you've fought in the past. If anything, this match will end in a disappointingly quick victory.

Then you hear it.

"Excuse me, uh... sir? I need you to back away from the bear."

The bear bellows, half angry, half distressed.

"Get out of here, human."

The bear bites your head. You punch its belly.

"Sir, I'm not going to ask you again."

You ignore the human to keep fighting the bear. You hear a snapping noise, then there's a burning pain in your butt. A bullet? No. Your shell's far to thick. What could it possibly–
Salt.
The human has a salt gun.

The bear wriggles free and runs off into the woods while you're distracted.

You tower over the human.

"What are you going to do, human? Fine me?"

The human pauses for a moment.

"I'll let you off with a warning," they say, "next time I won't be so lenient."

They walk away.

You want to go after the deer now. Should be quick enough.

You walk away into the woods. You walk for what seems like hours.

You spot the deer in a clearing. Perfect.

You take down the deer with very little effort then set about gutting it with your claws.

Someone clears their throat behind you.

You turn.

The human is back.

"I left the bear alone," you say.
"Do you have a hunting license? Deer tags?"
"Uh..."
"I'll have to fine you $2000 if you can't produce a license and tags."

You tower over the human. They aren't backing down.

"How about I let you live?"
"Three thousand. And I'm taking the carcass."
"What?"
"Who should I send the ticket to? Your king? Or the leader of your group?"
"I can tell you where to put it, but you won't like what I have to say."
"Name?"
"Asshole human."
"Name?"
"Not happening."
You turn to leave. The human hits you with another salt pellet. You turn back to them.
"How about I add killing you to the list of my crimes?"
They hit you with another salt pellet.
"Five thousand. Name?"
"You know I won't pay it."
SNAP. Another pellet.
"Name."
"No."
SNAP.
"I can do this all day. Name?"
"Fuck off."
SNAP.
"Name?"
"Ugh."
"Name."
You say nothing.
"Name."

"His name is Galand."
You roll your eyes. Great. Just what you needed.
"Leave me alone," you say.
Meliodas' expression is unreadable.
"What did he do?"
"He was hunting without a permit."
"Okay..." He turns to you "Go back to the rest of the Commandments. I'll get this sorted out and deal with you later."
You stand still.
His mark swirls down half of his body and he glares at you.
"Now," he says.
You have enough self-preservation to do as you're told.
Meliodas and the human continue talking as you walk back to the campsite.