Part 35

"For now," Hecate continues, "I need to get back to the underworld and see if I can find a way to keep your father off his current trajectory."

"Which is?"

"Your father wants to... using the term marriage loosely, he wants to force y/n to marry Estarossa, which will pass the ties binding you to the ritual to him and bind her soul to Estarossa as punishment for her earlier defiance."

Zeldris tries to hold back a laugh, "what does Estarossa have to say about that?"

Why is he laughing? Hecate raises an eyebrow to quiet the demon and continues.

"He's not too pleased about it, but as far as the Demon Clan is concerned, I'm sure you're aware that your father's word is law."

"Melascula told me he hates y/n. She should be safe from him for now."

Melascula winks at you.

"He does. But his commandment won't keep him at bay forever. Stay with y/n for the time being. You and Pazuzu should be able to keep Estarossa away fairly easily."
"I was planning on staying anyway. My business with the cults has concluded."

"Good. I'll send someone if I have any more news. We'll speak soon."

The goddess disappears in a flash of blinding magnesium-white light. Meliodas and Zeldris go back to glaring at each other.

Sensing the tension, Lizzy moves over to the kitchen and says: "well, if you two are going to keep staring each other down like that, I could use a drink. Y/n? Drink?"

You nod.

"Demons who just arrived? I make a mean long island iced tea."

Melascula glances at Zeldris who hasn't broken his staring contest with Meliodas. She shrugs, then nods at Lizzy.

"I wouldn't mind a beer," Galand says.

Meliodas breaks eye contact first and goes into the kitchen with Lizzy.

"I should warn you, Meliodas, Lizzy--" you start.

You hear a thud.

"Lizzy knows taekwondo. You should probably keep your hands to yourself."

Lizzy returns with drinks. Meliodas follows with his usual smile on his face. Zeldris helps himself to a slice of pizza. When he finishes it, he talks with you quietly. Meliodas is too concerned creeping on Lizzy to listen and Melascula and Galand are too concerned drinking. Pazuzu is in the kitchen helping himself to some chocolate cake.

"What is he doing here?" Zeldris asks.

"Meliodas?"

"Yeah."

"I was doing some research and accidentally summoned him, then Lizzy came over and..."

"There's no way he'll leave as long as she's here."

"Is he a threat?"

"Not right now. Not to you" he smiles, "I wouldn't let him hurt you."

He pulls you closer and you close your eyes. As soon as your eyes are shut, you fall asleep.