Part 26

You wake up back in your apartment to a scream that shockingly isn't yours. Everything hurts, but it looks like Estarossa has backed off the Agony Matrix for now. You look to your right. You're still lying beside a corpse. You must have hallucinated your encounter with Apollo and the other man... Escanor. That was his name. You add the name to your mental list of research topics. Right under Meliodas.

The remote for the Agony Matrix is on your nightstand. So what happened to Estarossa?

You get up.

Bad idea.

You're still standing, but your entire pelvis still hurts and protests the movement.

Asshole demon.

As you examine the device, you catch a glimpse of silver-bluish hair attached to someone on the floor. You move cautiously and see that the energy of the Agony Matrix is swirling across Estarossa's skin. Tears pour down his face as his screams back off and turn to sobs of pain.

You don't like this.

You move towards the door and slip out before turning back to Estarossa and turning the Agony Matrix off. He may deserve to feel pain for the hurt he caused you, but you don't want to be the one who causes it. You hang onto the Agony Matrix's remote, in case he gets any ideas.

Two more demons are sitting in your living room. One looks worried, the other's expression can't be seen due to an armour-like structure that might be his face.

"Using the Agony Matrix on Estarossa was my idea. I'm kinda surprised you turned it off," Melascula says.

"Honestly, so am I," you say. Your voice is small, hoarse from the choking and screaming, and weak. Melascula stands and guides you to the couch. You sit between her and Galand.

"Hecate sent us when one of our comrades told her what Estarossa was planning," Galand says.

"By the time we got here, we had to wave off some demigod who cleaved Estarossa in half" Melascula continues.

"I didn't hallucinate Escanor coming in here?"

"Who could hallucinate such a beast of a man? I'm pretty sure you passed out soon after seeing him. You were unconscious when we arrived." Melascula seems to have relaxed a bit, but stands quickly when she hears the floorboards creak in your room. She crosses her arms and stands her ground as Estarossa comes out of your room. Your hand is shaking, but it's still clutching the remote for the Agony Matrix.